PDA

View Full Version : Bon Voyage

Arthur Morris
07-06-2010, 07:27 AM
We spent the day yesterday photographing hummingbirds at Tandayapa Lodge. We leave in 30 minutes of the airport and the flight to Baltra. Everyone in the group of 11 (13 in all with Denise and me) seems great. For more, check out today's blog post: Tandayapa: Two Approaches/Bon Voyage! (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/)

This male Purple-throated Woodstar was photographed with the Canon 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, 37mm of extension, and the EOS 1D MIV. ISO 1600. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/60 sec. at f/8. Fill flash at -1 2/3 stops. A timely cloud made this image:)

I will not be back on line until late afternoon on 20 July so have fun and make some great images.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Jim Fenton
07-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Beautiful subject and lovely lighting.

Two things detract from this image for me.

A) The dark OOF tail and the loss of focus plane even on the down turned portion of the perch.

B) There are some funky wide transitions going on between the green / gray and darker green areas of the BG.

Keith Carver
07-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Beautiful light and colors and detail on this bird's head, and I like the BG from center to right. Agree with Jim's nits. With the 37 mm of extension and the effective 1120 mm focal length, you had a very shallow DOF, which explains the OOF foreground perch and tail.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Very pretty hummer and BG. It's good to hear that you are having fun. Take care.