ISO Speed 400
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Flash Off
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Manual selection

All comments welcome.

Anita Bower
07-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I like the dof you chose, and the colors. This is a lovely flower! The flowers are nicely placed in the left third, and they stand out against the lovely BG. Because the flowers are small relative to the long stems, they sort of get lost in the image. I find the bottom part of the image distracting--too much going on, and not all of it particularly attractive. Did you take some photos with the flower itself filling most of the frame?

Jonathan Ashton
07-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Anita - no I didn't take any close up shots of this flower, this is a "flower in it's environment shot" taken at the dunes in North Wales.:)

Anita Bower
07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Anita - no I didn't take any close up shots of this flower, this is a "flower in it's environment shot" taken at the dunes in North Wales.:)

I understand about wanting to include the environment. Worthwhile. It is like dust in my house--I don't notice it until I'm cleaning, and then I see it all to well. :-)

Roman Kurywczak
07-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey Jonathan,
This is an excellent example of why environmental flower images are so difficult!!! I feel you have succeeded in your endeavour but I also agree with Anita on the lower FG area as well as the brighter green (plant?) on the lower right.
This is just to give you some ideas to explore for yourself.....and see if you like any of them......first.....try toning down that brighter green area and the leaves in front of the central stem and compare it to your OP.......then my preference....crop just above the bright green area and proportionally take off the right......this still gives a hint of the environs while making the blooms impact much more significant.
Outstanding BG and light on these.....suggestions are just for you to explore.

Julie Kenward
07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
I like the "environment" - all except for that front leaf that is so OOF right at the base of the plant. I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me! For that reason I think I might crop up a bit so as to keep the eye from getting caught at the base of the plant but it is very nice to see an "environmental" image and this flower makes for an interesting image.

Desmond Chan
07-08-2010, 12:36 AM
I think it could be a better environmental flower shot under different kind of lighting and perhaps the bottom half be a bit neat and tidy :p IF you want to have a more eye-pleasing kind of shot rather than a strict documentary type that is.

Jonathan Ashton
07-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions - as ever much appreciated.

Christopher Miller
07-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Nice work trying a different sort of flower shot, Johnathan. I like the colors and curvy stem. Personally I think would have composed this with the flowers on the right side instead of the left. That might make a pleasing comp.