PDA

View Full Version : Henslow's Sparrow (Early Light)

Danny J Brown
07-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I photographed this Henslow's Sparrow, a new species for me, on the prairie at a conservation area near my house yesterday. We are converting some of the hayfields on our farm to prairies so someday I hope to have little fellas like this out my back door. Thanks to John Chardine for quickly verifying my ID on this one; he provides a great service over there in Avian ID, Behavior and Nomenclature.

Canon 40D; Canon 500/4 + 1.4TC; 1/250; f/5.6; ISO 200; Gitzo GT3530LS (Careful Roman!) w/Wimberley II.

I didn't cybersanitize the bill on the little critter so as not to create the illusion that birds have table manners.;) The two streaks in the bokeh are either big bluestem or indian grass. It's everywhere out there.

DB

Dan Brown
07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Great shot of a great bird Danny! It's even better in avian! I love those claws! The oof grass blade at the tail is a bit distracting and could be evicted. Good bird!

James Salywoda
07-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Great shot Danny nice bird you captured excellent detail and bg if it was mine I'd smooth out the OOF reeds a bit
Well Done!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I like the sharpness, light and eye contact and would tone down the bright perch.

Tony Whitehead
07-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Lovely colours and sharp detail, Dan. I don't mind the reed on the left but the one exiting the birds head could do with some PS work, as could the little dark one heading up to the tail.

Ofer Levy
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Excellent light, sharpness and detail. A bit big in the frame for my taste but still a lovely image.

Danny J Brown
07-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Excellent light, sharpness and detail. A bit big in the frame for my taste but still a lovely image.

Yes, I agree that the shot is too tight here. I noticed the problem right after I posted it. Thanks!

DB

John Chardine
07-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Agree with the comments above Danny. The light is outstanding as is the background to frame the subject. I would like to see a slight head turn towards you for added interest.

I sure hope the ID is correct- we will know soon as there are folks out there that will jump on it like a flee to a hedgehog if we are wrong!

Hendri Venter
07-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Tack sharp detail and a great pose. Cracking image Danny.

Dan Busby
07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Great shot Danny. What a nice bird to have in your back yard! I really like the warm lighting, sharp detail and natural perch and setting. I had seen your post in the ID section (John Chardine had asked me to have a look for the ID) and I thought the HA of that post was better. There is always the question of how far to go when removing competing habitat details and where to stop. I like your choice to leave them there.

Fabs Forns
07-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Beautiful light as noted, I'd also clean up the reeds a bit or at least tone them down. HA police would give you a ticket ;)
Great to have the opportunity close by!

Danny J Brown
07-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Beautiful light as noted, I'd also clean up the reeds a bit or at least tone them down. HA police would give you a ticket ;)
Great to have the opportunity close by!

That last sentence was pretty funny, Fabs! I hadn't heard that one yet...wish I would have thought of it. I have many more of this little fella with a decent HA and now I'm beginning to wonder if I just posted that one to be annoying.:) As Ofer said, the image is too big in the frame and I really agree with that.......yikes! Take care!

DB

Danny J Brown
07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Great shot Danny. What a nice bird to have in your back yard! I really like the warm lighting, sharp detail and natural perch and setting. I had seen your post in the ID section (John Chardine had asked me to have a look for the ID) and I thought the HA of that post was better. There is always the question of how far to go when removing competing habitat details and where to stop. I like your choice to leave them there.

Thanks, Dan.......and double thanks for that last sentence!:)

Matthew Studebaker
07-09-2010, 10:15 AM
another beautiful shot of this species in beautiful light. I don't mind the "habitat". I only wish for a slight head turn here.