PDA

View Full Version : Spicebush Swallowtail

Allen Sparks
07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Canon 7D, Canon 300 f4 plus 1.4x telconverter, monopod
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/200s, natural light

Jonathan Ashton
07-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Very nice image, beautiful detail in the wings.
I don't know if it was cropped, if it was I would leave a little more space around the butterfly, if it wasn't I would suggest backing off just a little and you would have the added benefit if increased DOF and then the head would have been as sharp as the wings.

Anita Bower
07-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Nice butterfly. I like the angle and the butterfly weed it is perched on. I don't mind the tight crop, but Jonathan makes some good points. I'm wondering about lightening it a bit to see more details in the dark areas, but I like it as it is. Is it considered acceptable to clean up some of the damage on the wings?

Roman Kurywczak
07-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey Allen,
I'm Ok with the crop.....go figure:D! He's actually in pretty good shape but if so inclined....cleaning up the battle scars will only help "pretty" him up. Very nice diagonal comp and overall, this was handled very nicely!

Julie Kenward
07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I agree...lovely image and so free of "clutter". I would try sharpening the head area a bit more but this is really a nice overall image. Good diagonal lines...nice BG...nice exposure.

Bob Miller
07-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Allen...very nicely handled. I like it alot! I vote for cleaning up some of the battle scars

Ken Childs
07-08-2010, 03:46 PM
I like the angle and the comp a lot. The scars should be easy to clean up and sharpening the head and antennae will definitely help. Maybe it's just me because no one else has mentioned it but this looks just a bit flat. I think increasing the contrast could help.