PDA

View Full Version : Loon with 2-day old chick

Keith Carver
07-05-2010, 07:59 PM
This chick was hatched on June 23, Damariscotta Lake, Maine and this photo was taken two days later. By now (two weeks later, July 5) the chick is over twice this size and but still gets occasional rides on the parent's back. I'll post an up-to-date photo in another day or so for comparison purposes.

Techs: 7D, 700 mm, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/800 sec. Post: cropped ~30% out of original

Randy Stout
07-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Keith:

Very nice pose of chick, they often seem to tuck in facing rearward, esp. when very small.

Good head angle on adult with look back pose.

I noticed on your previous post also, that the colors look just a bit over saturated. Perhaps just your location?

Look forward to your followup pictures.

The 3 week old chicks in Michigan don't get to ride any more! They try, but the parents are having none of it!

Cheers

Randy

Jim Fenton
07-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Like the head turn love the colors and the chick is cute as can be.

Did you use NR on this image? Things look a bit too smooth throughout?

Axel Hildebrandt
07-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I like the serene mood, look-back pose, angle, water colors and of course the chick. As in the other one, I would sharpen the birds more.

arash_hazeghi
07-05-2010, 10:00 PM
nice low angle, beautiful colors and chick is a big plus. I agree with Jim, the feathers and head look a bit plasticy with no texture.

TFS

Hendri Venter
07-06-2010, 07:40 AM
This is way cool and soo cute. Love it.

Keith Carver
07-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Like the head turn love the colors and the chick is cute as can be.

Did you use NR on this image? Things look a bit too smooth throughout?

Jim, I did use NR on BG only, not on birds. Forgot to mention that in my Post: comments.

Fabs Forns
07-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Another vote for more sharpening. Love the little rider and the habitat, with beautiful water and ripples. TFS, Keith.

Keith Carver
07-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, especially for more sharpening. Here is a re-repost with Smart Sharpen applied to the birds at 140 / 0.3, lens blur, "more accurate" unchecked. JPEG compression artifacts seem to be minimal. Any last-minute comments greatly appreciated.

Roy Priest
07-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Keith, Love the distinctive red eye and beautiful water. I have noticed on my own photos of loons that the head does look smooth on adults and I think it is sharp enough. I maybe would sharpen and brighten the eye a bit.

These comments are on the OP, the repost looks great.