PDA

View Full Version : Mourning Warbler

DeanNewman
07-05-2010, 04:45 PM
A couple of weeks ago I posted this image under "Eager to Learn" as I was having problems toning down the yellows in the Mourning Warbler's breast. I've struggled with it even after reading the classic post on this site about toning down colors. This image is submitted to see how well I did or if I missed the boat. Any comments would be appreciated.

Exposure Data:
Camera: Canon 1D MIV
Canon 600 f/4 with 1.4 TC
1/200 @ f/5.6
ISO 1000

Randy Stout
07-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Dean:

I just glanced at your original post in ETL, and I think this one is an improvement. The IQ in the yellows looks a bit soft, perhaps from the post work, but clearly better overall than the original post.

Like this crop better as well. Interesting perch, would have to be careful landing on this one.

I might try darkening the midtones just a bit.

Keep working it!

Randy

Dan Busby
07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Nice clean shot Dean. Where I live it would be strange to see this species in such an uncluttered setting! Great pose and sharp head detail. Colors, especially the yellow, appear a bit muted on my monitor. I suggest getting rid of the pin point eye catch (flash?) and lightening what appears to be the natural eye catch.

Richard Stern
07-08-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm jealous, as in this part of the world Mourning warblers are almost exclusively in thick undergrowth tangles, or flitting high up in trees, and I have never managed to get a decent image of one. But I agree that the colors now look a little too muted, and the head appears to have a rather unnatural purple tinge