PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove Warbler bathing

Bill Dix
07-05-2010, 02:41 PM
D90, 18-200 VR @ 200mm. ISO 800. f/7.1. 1/200s. -0.7EV. HH.

This young fellow was taking a bath in a tidepool surrounded by lava rocks in the Galapagos. The Mangrove Warbler is endemic to the Galapagos but closely related to our Yellow Warbler. I think this one must be a juvi. Normally wouldn't have put the bird so close to the middle of the frame but didn't want to lose the concentric ripples. C&C welcome.

Don Hamilton Jr.
07-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Bill, nice and different ! Like it a lot. The darker area behind the bird is a bit distracting. Really like the details, and the rings of waves!
Swet!
Don

Bill Dix
07-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Bill, nice and different ! Like it a lot. The darker area behind the bird is a bit distracting. Really like the details, and the rings of waves!
Swet!
Don
Thanks Don. I wondered about the dark rock. I tried a version where I cloned that out, but the bg seemed to disappear into nowhere, and somehow the rock contained the image and framed the bird. Probably could go either way.

David Thomasson
07-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks Don. I wondered about the dark rock. I tried a version where I cloned that out, but the bg seemed to disappear into nowhere, ...

One possibility (not sure if this works): Add a gradient so the light falls off into the background, and maybe crop a bit from the top? (I also selectively brightened around the top of the bird's head and back.)

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4994/mangrove.jpg

Don Hamilton Jr.
07-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Like it!! Great idea!!! David, if you ever need a place to stay in south florida, you are welcome to stay here, however i'm going to have you teach me PS! . :D You Rock !!!
Don

David Thomasson
07-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Like it!! Great idea!!! David, if you ever need a place to stay in south florida, you are welcome to stay here, however i'm going to have you teach me PS! . :D You Rock !!!
Don

Hey, that'll work! :cool: I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami years ago. Wouldn't take but one or two more hip-deep snows here to convince me to move back.

However, snow isn't a problem just at present ...

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8451/heate.jpg

Bill Dix
07-05-2010, 05:19 PM
That works nicely, David. The darker top serves the same purpose as the rock, without its distraction. Thank you for the good idea. Sounds like you're having the same lovely weather that we are.