PDA

View Full Version : Henslow's Sparrow

Danny J Brown
07-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I would like appreciate verification on a sparrow that I photographed in early morning light at a prairie near my house in east central Missouri. When I saw it I thought it was a Lincoln's sparrow but on closer inspection it appears to be a new species for me, perhaps a Henslow's sparrow. Unfortunately, I won't see our staff ornithologist where I work until Tuesday and I'd like to know before then.

Thanks

Danny Brown

John Chardine
07-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I think you have hit the nail on the head with Henlow's Danny. Seems to fit the Sibley description very well. The back-pattern and rufous colouration there, heavy bill, throat stripes, white-eye-ring et al, all match nicely.

Danny J Brown
07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks, John. I was pretty sure but I've made mistakes before.

DB

Dan Brown
07-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Hey Danny, at first I thought that this was a Grasshopper sp, but I think you and John are right, Henslow's!

Danny J Brown
07-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Dan - I looked at grasshopper sparrow first because I don't have any and I know they are on that prairie but GS didn't fit with this birds so Henslow was second. Thanks for taking a look. Have a great holiday.

DB

Jason G. Harrison
07-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Danny, you captured one of the sparrows I have been working on getting for some time now! Life has gotten in the way for me to get out to one of our Prairie type Conservation Areas to get this done. I was going to meet up with Nop at Dunn Ranch last week, but it didn't work out.

Good job on getting this bird...I love how they like to sit up on top like this and sing. If you have Henslows there...you should also have Grasshopper Sparrows as they like the same type of grassy habitat.

John Chardine
07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Danny- I was fixated on the question and forgot to say what a super image this is!

Danny J Brown
07-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks, John. I have some others (singing pose, etc.) that are more interesting but I thought this one would be best for ID purposes. And thanks again for providing a great service for quick ID turnaround, kind of like a Bird ID Urgicare Center.:)