PDA

View Full Version : Natures Fireworks

Roman Kurywczak
07-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I have probably photographed this arch more than any other over the last 18 years. I have lost count of how many angles I have and even different seasons....but the most photographers I have ever had there....was about 15.....this year there were over 100 people there! An entire bus of tourists actually arrived shortly after my group arrived.....with 35 from another tour....already there...elbow to elbow. I still couldn't resist when a spot opened up! This is not an HDR....but with all the layers.....it is close! A strip ND filter by Singh Ray and 2 split ND's were all stacked and moved during the exposure.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm leans at 17mm for 1.3 sec @f22 and ISO 100. Tripod mounted w/ Graf Studioball head.
I hope this image conveys why this arch is more popular than others!

Nick Palmieri
07-04-2010, 02:54 PM
I would have guessed HDR...the light and composition is awesome. I have no idea how the bottom of the arch got so lit. Very nice job!

Hilary Hann
07-04-2010, 06:34 PM
This is beautiful. I would guess that the lovely warm light on the bottom of the arch is bouncing from the cliffs which we can't see? The light glancing off the rocks in the foreground really lifts the image and the soft feel in the canyon from the sunlight gives extra depth. Love the clouds … it all came together for this one despite the 100 other tourists.

Buddy scherr
07-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Stunning...simply stunning.

Bob Miller
07-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Roman....This is one of the best images i have seen of the arch....Way to Go! Everything about it is awesome! Really well handled!

Robert Amoruso
07-05-2010, 10:23 AM
I agree Roman with the others, the quality of light and your skill in exposing and processing this image makes it a winner big time. Nice job.

Don Hamilton Jr.
07-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Roman, probably one of the best pictures i've ever seen of the arch! Over the Top, and a WINNER!!!!!!
Don

Jackie Schuknecht
07-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I agree, stunning. The quality of the light is beautiful, and the angle shot from is beautiful, with the peaks in the middle coming through.

Morkel Erasmus
07-06-2010, 02:48 AM
magnificent view magnificently captured Roman...wow! when you say the filters were "moved during exposure", what exactly did you do?

Roman Kurywczak
07-06-2010, 10:57 AM
....... when you say the filters were "moved during exposure", what exactly did you do?

Thanks all and good question Morkel!

If you put a split ND filter....even soft edge.....into a holder, you almost always get a noticable line/edge......by moving the filter up and down during the exposure (quite a bit)....say from just below where you want the effect to just above......you minimize the line/edge......by making it slightly wider......make sense?

Dave Mills
07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi Roman, most folks don't realise how tricky an exposure this can be but you handled it beautifully. Alot to like in the image but I especially like the detail that was pulled out inside the arch on the left. In many cases that area gets a bit blown out due to the intense brightness of the rising sun.
From your angle I don't think you could get much better than that!!

Roger Clark
07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
I would have guessed HDR...the light and composition is awesome. I have no idea how the bottom of the arch got so lit. Very nice job!

Nick,

The bottom of the arch is lit by sunlight reflected from the sandstone cliff below the arch. That gives a reflectance squared effect, making red even more red (red sandstone reflecting light onto red sandstone). The quality of the red varies with direction of the sun and clarity of the eastern horizon. Roman's image was taken when the sun is far north, reducing the effect somewhat. At some times of year, the sun rises behind the distant La Sal mountains and that can reduce the effect. Here is another image with the sun south of the La Sals (note this is on Fujichrome Velvia film so pretty saturated) and a larger red effect:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?9617-Mesa-Arch-Sunrise&highlight=Mesa+Arch

Roman,
Nice image, but 100 people!!! I've photographed the arch many many times too, but haven't gone back the last couple of years because of the crowds. The most I've seen there was about 30 or so. Gone are the days when I would be there by myself (well, maybe I'll try in January sometime). Boy, you really need to get there early now to get into the right tripod holes. :p

Roger

Gerald_Gilligan
07-28-2010, 01:18 AM
Hey Roman,
This is a great image and you not only handled the exposure well, but the composition too...I would have tried to include everything and would have come away with something less desired...I'm trying to learn that you can leave a little to the imagination and still be as effective...it does take some experience to get to that level...

Jerry