PDA

View Full Version : Tracking speeds

Cory Bucher
07-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi all and Happy Forth of July, is there a way to set the tracking speed on a Nikon D300s? I know you can on some of the Canon models but wasn't sure if you can on Nikon. Thank in advance.

Jim Neiger
07-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi all and Happy Forth of July, is there a way to set the tracking speed on a Nikon D300s? I know you can on some of the Canon models but wasn't sure if you can on Nikon. Thank in advance.

I think this is available on the Nikon D300. It's called TRACKING, but tracking speed is misleading. Canon calls the same thing tracking sensitivity. See my post here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showpost.php?p=531446&postcount=12 (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showpost.php?p=531446&postcount=12) to see how it works and how to set it.

When used with bumping foucs at the right moments, I think the best setting for it is LONG. Settings range from LONG to SHORT. These are the equivilants to Canon's SLOW and FAST.

arash_hazeghi
07-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Hi Cory,

Nikon calls it "Focus tracking with lock-on" it's CF-n a-4. I have never used a D300 but I have used D700 and D3 with various lenses, for those cameras best is to set it to OFF or short for flight.

Best

Cory Bucher
07-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Thank you both for the info, much appreciated.

Norm Dulak
07-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi Cory,

Nikon calls it "Focus tracking with lock-on" it's CF-n a-4. I have never used a D300 but I have used D700 and D3 with various lenses, for those cameras best is to set it to OFF or short for flight.

Best

Cory:

I have both a D300 and the Nikonians' book by Darrell Young, titled "Mastering the Nikon D300." While Arash is correct in saying that "Focus tracking with lock-on" is controlled by custom setting a4, I think it should NOT be turned OFF but set to Long.:)

The purpose of this function in the D300 is to give the camera a period of time to ignore an intruding object. If you are tracking a BIF and you get off the bird, the background will become the intruding object. And if CS a4 is set to OFF, the camera will immediately focus on the background.

You might want to experiment to determine which CS a4 setting is best for you. With the D300 the possible settings are Short (about 1 second), Normal (about 1.5 seconds) and Long (about 2 seconds).

Norm