PDA

View Full Version : dunescape

peter delaney
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
d3 70-200mm 1/160 @f10 iso 1000

This was taken as the last rays of the day were filtering thru the storm clouds on to the white dunes. WB as shot, decided not to use saturation as i liked the soft pastel colours...

Roman Kurywczak
07-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Hey Peter,
I like the saturation as presented and the image has a nice flow through it.....except the LLC.....which merges a touch...... but my main issue with this.....and you had no control.....is the storm cloud line. To me it is just so strong that it competes with the dune lines too much.....make sense? I hope you got the longer lens out too.....and took the main dune on the right......super s-curve there! Let's see what others chime in!

Hilary Hann
07-04-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm glad Roman mentioned the cloud line as that is what hit me first. I know it was out of your control but I don't think it adds to the image. The light is glorious and I love the pastel colours. In fact the composition of the dunes is so strong that there are several different crops you could have and keep the beauty and strength of the image.

Bob Miller
07-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Hi pete..sweet light with nice composition. I do agree that the storm cloud line is too distracting!

Robert Amoruso
07-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Strong curves and flow in the dunes combined with the colors make this a standout. I am less bothered with the dark clouds but would have preferred to not have the lower edge at the height of the tallest dune. Some separation there and then cropping to minimize them would have been preferred IMO.

Dave Mills
07-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi Peter, good comments above. This is a tricky image(at least for me) to evaluate. There are some definate strong points regarding lighting and elements of composition.
I'm looking at the sky and also wondering if it's an issue or not.
Wondering about a bit more separation between the dark area and the dunes. Not sure on how much effect that might have without seeing it.
I also cropped out about half the blue from the top and liked it.
Just some ideas but overall I thought the image was well handled...