PDA

View Full Version : Project Interaction: Juvenile Hawk vs Kingbird

Bill Jobes
07-04-2010, 10:03 AM
This fledgling Red-tailed hawk, just two days out of the nest and up on a high branch, braces defensively as an Eastern Kingbird makes a pest of itself. :)

To protect its eyes, the hawk has both nictitating membranes fully deployed.

Nikon D3
600 II VR
1/1250
F/7.1
ISO 1250
Gitzo 5541LS
Wimberley II Head

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Great action captured here and well composed with good exposure and detail. Wish the hawk had his eyes open but sometimes you just can not get it all :)

Axel Hildebrandt
07-04-2010, 04:23 PM
The behavior makes this one for me. The highlights look a bit bright on my monitor and there is a slight halo around the Kingbird.

Bill Jobes
07-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the comments, Judy !

Actually the eyes are 'open', as the protective membranes are translucent, and the bird can see the incoming threat.

I do have images with the membranes retracted, but thought it might be instructive to show the young hawk's instinctive, defensive response to preserve its eyesight.

I fully appreciate and understand your observation, as under most circumstances, I too cull images with deployed membranes. :)

Bill Jobes
07-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks Axel; that's a fair observation.

I think the image pretty much represents what my eye saw at the time. The hawk was taking an almost direct horizontal light hit from the bright late-day sun. In fact, the chest feathers looked white to the naked eye, even though there are some yellow highlights there.

Taking your suggestion, I did go back and, using an adjustment layer, reduced the overall image brightness. The result was more 'pleasing', but it would have altered the reality of the scene. :)

Hendri Venter
07-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Brave little bird that. Interaction very well captured Bill.