PDA

View Full Version : Cooperative fly.

Daniel Cadieux
07-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Amazingly this guy let me come in quite close with the extention tubes. A bit more and I'd touch it with the front lens element:). I thought the water drop was a nice bonus too!

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 @50mm + 36mm extention tube, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/4.5, ISO 800, +1 EC, natural light, handheld, about 75% full frame.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_Fly_7295-01.jpg

Anita Bower
07-04-2010, 02:46 PM
The focus on the head and water drop is perfect! I don't mind the shallow DOF. I might rotate it CW some, and lighten/brighten it up some--I think more detail in the fly will show up. I'm impressed with those of you who can hand-hold a shot like this.

Roman Kurywczak
07-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Hey Daniel,
I like the soft focus here....because it is sharp where it has to be. I think Anita has given you some excellent advice above about lightening the fly selectively (just like eye of the birds) but will give you some things to consider for next time out. If the fly was that cooperative.....did you sacrifice some SS for more DOF? If not then you should consider it as looking at the specs....you could have easily eeked out about 1&1/2 to 2 or more stops of DOF.....even HH'ing! I think you could go even more with the pop up flash!
Like I said.....I like this as presented....just some things to play around with next time out!

Bob Miller
07-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Amazing shot! Congrats!

Ken Childs
07-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I usually like to see more of bugs in focus but in this case, the shallow DOF works fairly well. Anita and Roman gave some really good suggestions.

It's nice to see the "blowing bubbles" rule of holding still held true here. :)

Julie Kenward
07-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Sweet fly image, Daniel! I also like the shallow DOF here because, as the others commented, the focus is right where it needs to be. I also agree with a bit more lightening/brightening - just a touch more contrast in curves should do the trick. Lovely placement of the fly within the image.