PDA

View Full Version : juvenile Red-throated Loon

Magnus Thornberg
07-04-2010, 08:13 AM
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pk8XcZeVGozJBtljm0GkpLPGRx3-jZSbmtK8zJg_S4L71re-y5PSyoDfj-Wdbq8RyM0zFDyDe9EjSdIbXoHVDEA/_MG_8664-Edit_1024_sm%C3%A5lom_unge.jpg?psid=1

This Juvenile Red-throated Loon was photographed north of the town Falun in the middle of Sweden!
This is the chick of the Adult Red-throated Loon i posted earlier! I wanted much of the habitat in the picture with all the mosquitoes buzzing around the chick!

I used my Canon 40D, Canon EF 300/28.L IS USM, Canon EF 2x Extender, 600mm, f/7.1, 1/1250s, iso 400, aperture priority, -1 stop and i use my Ameristep Doghouse!

Nick Palmieri
07-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Interesting composition. I like the back-lit Loon. I am a little bothered by whats going on in the FG on the right side.

Juan Aragonés
07-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Wow, another lovely backlight image. Composition is really good (perhaps just a litle bit more room at the top?) and I like the open bill, rim light and out of focus light spot floating in the water. I agree with Nick about the area in the right foreground. Please, keep them coming :)

Krijn Trimbos
07-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Love the idea and the resulted rim around the chick. IMHO the light specks on the water are a bit distracting, falling in the same tonal range as the rim of the chick. In this particular case I would probably suggest to clone them out, if this fits your personal ethics of course. Nice compostion as well, cool shot!

Judd Patterson
07-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Magnus, I love the backlit scene...with such lovely colors! The bird seems a little high in the frame, but that may have been a decision based on a shoreline or something that would have crept into the frame and significantly changed the feel. Not many photographers would set up a blind on the back side of a bird knowing that they could only get silhouettes and rim-lighting, so I certainly salute your originality!

Magnus Thornberg
07-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Thank you all! The composition is meant to be little extreme:) And one of the reasons are the shoreline and i wanted the beautiful coloured water with the mosquitoes to have a big place in the composition! Maybe a little Scandinavian style! I can agree that the white spots are distracting, but i thought the picture became more interesting with it:)

Thank you again for the comments!

/Magnus

Arthur Morris
07-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Killer pose and light. I would love to see this as a pano as the two big whitish things lower right center are distracting.

Arthur Morris
07-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Like this. And still with all the white spots :)

Juan Aragonés
07-05-2010, 01:15 AM
I like Artie´s suggestion a lot, even more extreme composition that the original post but works. The white spots in the water adds a touch of "real-life" to the scene and also adds a touch of magic.

Magnus Thornberg
07-05-2010, 03:58 AM
Thank you Juan and Arthur! I like your repost Arthur!:)
About the area in the right foreground, it was out of focus grass! Mr Morris repost did the work :)

/Magnus

Hendri Venter
07-06-2010, 06:33 AM
I agree with the pano. It works very nicely. Other than that I also like the rim lighting and the colours are awesome. Well done.