PDA

View Full Version : Lion in the grass

Andy Biggs
07-04-2010, 07:09 AM
http://www.andybiggs.com/Misc/20090719_232237_Kwetsani152.jpg

Lion in the grass
Nikon D3, 200-400mm f/4, 1/800 @ f/5.6, ISO 3200
Jao Concession, Okavango Delta, Botswana. July 2009

We left camp before sunrise and located this gorgeous male walking around in the flooded plains right outside our camp at Kwetsani. We were able to photograph him away from any dense vegetation, and many of the shots are of him walking around in shallow water. When water is present I typically prefer shots that includes the water, however this is an image that I also liked as he stopped for a few seconds to size up his prey, some lechwe not too far away.

Morkel Erasmus
07-04-2010, 09:42 AM
sublime light and mood here Andy - love the rich morning colours, intent gaze and the way he emerges from the grass...would have liked a bit more space at the bottom for "feet movement" :)

Steve Kaluski
07-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Cracking shot Andy, know Kwets well and I know where you were seeing this shot. Just enough for the virtual legs, love the grass blowing/swaying in the breeze. Who was your driver, OP?

Steve

Andy Biggs
07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Steve. Yeah, I have a few shots where I have the Kwetsani camp in the background, so we moved the vehicle to have a cleaner background. I don't like to remove things from my photos with Photoshop, and it's easier to the move the vehicle anyway. And my guide in Bots is always our friend Grant. He is the man. Awesome guide and awesome photographer.

Morkel, thanks for the feedback. I agree about the crop on the bottom!

Stu Bowie
07-04-2010, 01:10 PM
I like the intense stare Andy, together with the early morning light. Comp wise, I wuld maybe move him back to the left a tad. Lovely all round colours too.

Hilary Hann
07-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Andy, love the waving grass in this and the DOF which enhances the effect of it. The light is beautiful and the lion's expression is all you could ask for. I would agree with Stuart regarding composition. Agree with you re Grant, awesome photographer.

Marc Mol
07-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Can only add great mood and lighting here Andy, vey nicely composed.
TFS

Alfred Forns
07-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Lovely mood and light Andy !! Love the look on his face and setting Not sure if it could have been done but having the lion a bit more left?

... funny you mention about not removing things form the image, I was thinking of a small twig, branch etc but not an entire campground :) Big Congrats on this one !!!

Russell Johnson
07-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Great image, Andy.

I would prefer the lion slightly to the left, though feel the image is strong enough for a central composition.

Danny J Brown
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
This lion in the prairie is absolutely beautiful. The light, the setting, and the beast all come together to make a stunning photo. Great work.

DB