PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jay

Thomas Finnie
07-03-2010, 08:24 PM
This inquisitive Blue Jay was nice enough to pause for his pic before he flew away.

Nikon D300, 400mm, f/4.5, ISO 400, 1/320 second, Aperture Mode.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for looking,
Tom

http://i45.tinypic.com/35887qh.jpg

Jean Chang
07-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Tom,

The first thing I wonder is how on earth were you able to get so close to him using a 40 mm lens? I'm impressed! I have such a hard time shooting blue jays--they see me coming no matter how far away I am. lol

Nice smooth background!

Jean

Edit: Oops--I just saw another one of your posts. I think maybe the 40mm was a typo? Anyway, it's still a nice close-up!

Thomas Finnie
07-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Tom,

The first thing I wonder is how on earth were you able to get so close to him using a 40 mm lens? I'm impressed! I have such a hard time shooting blue jays--they see me coming no matter how far away I am. lol

Nice smooth background!

Jean

Edit: Oops--I just saw another one of your posts. I think maybe the 40mm was a typo? Anyway, it's still a nice close-up!

Hi Jean,

My trained, pet Blue Jay is quite comfortable with me (nah, just kidding). :)

It should read 400mm lens (original post now edited and corrected). There is no way that I would be able to get that close using a 40 mm lens. :)

Thanks for your nice words, :)
Tom

Nick Palmieri
07-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Nice capture. I am thinking it may be a little dark. Maybe adding a bit of exposure or some fill flash would have lightened him up a bit. Nice capture and very sharp head.

Thomas Finnie
07-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Nice capture. I am thinking it may be a little dark. Maybe adding a bit of exposure or some fill flash would have lightened him up a bit. Nice capture and very sharp head.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the nice words. Your suggestions are well taken.

Happy Fourth of July,
Tom

caseyargall
07-04-2010, 08:09 PM
very nice photo, i love how the bird is slightly tilting his head towards the camera, and its sharp,well done!

Thomas Finnie
07-04-2010, 08:46 PM
very nice photo, i love how the bird is slightly tilting his head towards the camera, and its sharp,well done!

Thanks for noticing the head pose and for your kind words. :)
Tom