PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Flyover

Ken Scheben
03-05-2008, 10:00 AM
http://www.westisliphockey.com/Birds/Snowy-FlightUnderside.jpg

Well, it didn't snow the entire time Bob & I were in Ottawa last weekend. On Sunday morning, we were greeted with a bright, cloudless sky and some beautiful light. This was the only opportunity we had where a snowy owl actually flew overhead. Although the owl unfortunatley chose to fly away from the light versus into it, the reflected light from the snow on the ground did a reasonable job of filling in some of the deep facial shadows that would ordinarily be present in this type of situation. Add a bit of selective curves work and this is what you end up with. Not perfect, but my best snowy owl flight image to date.

Ken

Canon 1DMIII, 70-200 f4 IS, ISO 500, f5.6, 1/4000, handheld, baited, very nearly full frame

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I really like the light,wing position and the blue bg,I would prefer a bit more light on the face

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Awesome that you were able to capture this beauty. Love the beautiful wingspread and the eye contact. Very fine image Ken and thanks for sharing.

Fabs Forns
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Very nice overhead flight! Wish we could see the other eye.

The back light looks great in the tail and wings!

Stephen Stephen
03-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Very nice Ken. It seems like almost everyone come here to see these owls this winter. It would have been a bonus to see him/her staring back at you.