PDA

View Full Version : Cheyenne Bottoms, KS Spring Shorebird Photography

Arthur Morris
07-03-2010, 06:16 AM
If anyone knows anything about photographing northbound migrant shorebirds at Cheyenne Bottoms, KS, I would appreciate learning the basics as far as dates and locations :) I am trying to piggy-back with a speaking engagement in Kansas City. Not sure which KC? Or if that matters. Will find out.

Bill Coatney
07-03-2010, 10:01 AM
The following link has a 30 yr chronology (migration dates) for shorebirds at Cheyenne Bottoms ( last item in the list) that might be of use-- pdf format

Cheyenne Bottoms Shorebird Viewing Guide (downloadable)

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-Info/Locations/Wildlife-Areas/Region-3/Cheyenne-Bottoms/Brochures/Bird-Watching

This guide also has the phone number of Helen Hands, biologist with KDWP, who has compiled the migration statistics since the mid 1990's

This link has the area manager's contact information as well as a current conditions phone number and a newsletter link for the area

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-Info/Locations/Wildlife-Areas/Region-3/Cheyenne-Bottoms

The website for the area also has a driving tour map/brochure that is downloadable

also the driving distance from KC to Great Bend is around 250 miles +/-

good luck

Judd Patterson
07-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Artie, Cheyenne Bottoms is my home territory. First off, there is really only one Kansas City, it just straddles the Kansas/Missouri state line. No matter how you slice it you'll have at least a 4 hour (one-way) drive to Cheyenne Bottoms. Cheyenne Bottoms really comes alive in mid to late April and is really rocking the first couple weeks of May. I always visited the last weekend in April to try for both early (godwit) and later (phalaropes, dowitchers, etc.) migrants.. Bill linked to a great set of graphs. The biggest variable year to year (beyond fluctuating bird levels) are road conditions. Big spring storms can close some (or nearly all) of the access roads. I'd certainly call ahead to check on roads before you make the drive. Beyond Cheyenne Bottoms, my favorite location in the area is actually Quivira National Wildlife Refuge. It's just a little bit to the south and gets the same species mix as Cheyenne Bottoms. It has a nice wildlife loop drive and more natural habitat (Cheyenne Bottoms is currently a mix of water management cells and you drive the dike roads in between). The Nature Conservancy portion of Cheyenne Bottoms is also a nicer area for photography in my opinion.

Douglas Bolt
07-04-2010, 12:58 PM
I'll second Judd's recommendation for Quivira National Wildlife Refuge. While CB is generally good, I've found Quivira usually has more birds and more different species than CB. Like Judd, that's my old (very old) home area.

Arthur Morris
07-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks all. Judd. You are the man!