PDA

View Full Version : Wild magenta

Kaushik Balakumar
07-03-2010, 04:25 AM
Made this image of this wild flower while on a hike in the mountains last week. The magenta/pink flower caught my attention amidst the 'flowing' grass and rocks.

Techs:
Nikon D90 + Nikkor 18-105mm VR
f/8, 1/160, ISO640 @105mm
Mild Orton effect added to give it a slight soft/dreamy feel.

Critiques welcome.

Dave Woeller
07-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Hi Kaushik, I really like the way you've captured the feeling of isolation for this flower. The flower itself does grab your attention, even though it's so isolated. I'd be curious to see this with just a touch off the bottom. I don't think you would lose anything in the overall feel at all. Just my thoughts. It's a great shot.

Julie Kenward
07-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I agree. I'd take about 1/3 off the top and a sliver off the bottom to get that flower closer to the ROT's position. How did you pp this one, Kaushik? Did you add a little Orton effect? It's lovely!

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Hey Kaushik,
I like the Orton look and have even explored some of the above suggested crops....not sure any of them are pulling this all together for me. Per haps toning down the rear bloom a bit as right now it appears brighter than the one in front....to give more seperation? I'm going to think a while more on this one to see if can come upi with any ideas or make any other suggestions.

Anita Bower
07-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Unique and beautiful. The magenta amidst the dark browns and greens is stunning. I also like the lines and patterns of the grasses, and the textures of the tree. On the one hand the flowers seem to get lost in the image due to their small size, on the other hand, their bright color makes them the focus point.

Bob Miller
07-04-2010, 11:21 PM
This works for me! very artful! Congrats!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Thank you all for your time and feedback.
@Jules: Yes, mild Orton effect as indicated in my original post :)
@Roman: A fine idea Roman to bring a separation between the flowers; I'll give it a try when I get home.

Ken Childs
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I also think a slice of the bottom would help.

I really like the overall feel of this shot. This probably would have fit better in the OOTB forum since you used Orton.