PDA

View Full Version : Double Rainbow South of Denver

David Stephens
07-01-2010, 10:56 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/4741202332_41b62d7838_b.jpg

There's compression artifacts in here from combining images to complete the panorama. There was too much height to get the whole top bow in. I subsequently realized that I should have take six images instead of three, but it was too late when I realized that. I will reprocess from tiffs instead of jpegs to get rid of some of the artifacts.

This capped a day that start with siting a simple rainbow in the morning while I was shooting wildlife. This was around 30-minutes before sunset. This is taken from a the top of a parking structure in the Denver Tech Center looking toward Cherry Creek State Park, where I do most of my wildlife photography.

Stephen Stephen
07-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Interesting image Dave. I like how the rainbow touches the "golden" building on the right

Did you take the 3 frames in landscape format or portrait? If you used landscape moving to portrait may have helped with the height challenge.

David Stephens
07-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Interesting image Dave. I like how the rainbow touches the "golden" building on the right

Did you take the 3 frames in landscape format or portrait? If you used landscape moving to portrait may have helped with the height challenge.

Duh, no Stephen, I didn't even think of portrait until you said it (kicking self). :eek: Next time....

It's funny, I use portrait over and over for single-shot images and it hadn't even crossed my mind when I had this problem. Thanks for the sharp hit over the head. Let me think, how many decades will it be before I see another double rainbow up that close?

Alfred Forns
07-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Sweet image David Good point on going portrait !! Advantage going portrait is in cropping later on .. very forgiving.

Tom Redd
07-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Looks very nice David, even better than on your iPhone. :) I was good to meet you today. Happy 4th and happy shooting!

David Stephens
07-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey Tom, nice meeting you yesterday and sitting in the thistle watching goldfinch and hummers. How'd your other location do? You didn't miss anything at my location after you left.

I got a few decent shots that you can see at my Flickr link below.

Tom Redd
07-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I checked your flicker site, great shots. Your shots were much cleaner than mine. Well done. I didn't get anything at the other site, the hummers flew around but never really came to the blooms. I didn't stay too long. I did post a shot in Eager to Learn from the day before yesterday.

Harold Davis
07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
that's pretty cool, david. not everyday you get to see both ends of the rainbow!!