PDA

View Full Version : Free-Falling Gannet

Steve Kaluski
07-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Set high on a very northernly point of the Scottish Isles are thousands of breeding Gannets. With a drop of 400ft + getting close to the edge by a person who does not like heights took some doing :D Hanging on the updraft they sail effortless along looking for their nest sights. The white blobs in the background are Gannet heads. An issue was getting the histogram right, and this was not easy and probably easily shows on this image, with high whites & blacks.

Any thoughts gratefully received, although this was not true Scottish weather, it was sunny.:D

MKIII 500f/4 1/1000sec f/11 ISO400 (HH, almost FF)

Morkel Erasmus
07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
exposure looks A-okay to me Steve...but it is tricky with plumages like this.
I love the pose and details, but would have liked a tad more space in front of and below the bird, guessing this is full frame? :)

John Haig
07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Very cool image...the pose instantly reminds me of some of my silly human friends who jump out of perfectly good airplanes!

Exposure looks great, I'm okay with the space around the bird but I do find the background highlights (OOF gannets, I assume?) to be a bit distracting.

Colin Knight
07-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Intruiging pose! Well done on exposure, nice and sharp too!

Michael Hogan
07-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Love the pose, eye contact and the light is not too bad either. Exposure looks spot on to me. I'd agree with Morkel - a bit more space in front might have been better. OOF bg not ideal but I think the subject is strong enough so that the bg is not too distracting

TFS

Michael

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Agree with the above comments and I too would like to see a tad more canvas as mentioned . Really love the unique pose in this image Steve.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Interesting pose and BG. It could go a bit brighter for my taste and I would give it more room left and bottom.