PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette

Anita Rakestraw
03-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Not sure what this is (dragonfly?) but it caught my eye a couple summers ago one evening and I took the picture. Not sure either if it's particularly interesting....? This is the actual orientation but possibly a horiztontal presentation would also work....if I had used a smaller f/stop, would I have gotten all of it in focus? Any other comments/suggestions also welcome. Thanks. (Maybe this should be posted in Eager to Learn....)

Photographed June 2006 with Canon Rebel XTi
100mm macro lens at 100mm
f/5.6, 1/30"
ISO 100 - tripod

Robert O'Toole
03-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi Anita,

Wish I could recall what this is called, sorry, but it is related to the dragonfly.

This image looks sharp and the composition is okay but without any detail the results aren’t very appealing. I would have recommended flash or dialing extra exposure to give the subject detail.
Silhouettes work if you can see more of the outline and shape of the image, here the subject is mostly hidden by the perch.
Stopping down doesn’t work as well as being more parallel with the subject. I don’t think stopping down would have helped much but the sharpness looks okay as is.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Anita,

The sharpness on the back hairs is great. Perhaps if you had moved right, you would have gotten the silhouette better defined. Hard to tell here though. Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Anita Rakestraw
03-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Okay, thanks, guys, that's helpful!