PDA

View Full Version : Colorful Bloom

Mark Fuge
06-30-2010, 10:23 AM
The image was taken in Hawaii of a bush and cropped to provide one leaf section that was flipped multiple times to create the living color wheel. .

Modification in CS4 included; Delete BG, Flip (4 times), Hue & Saturation, Vibrance & Saturation and Shadow & Highlight adjustments. Black textured BG was added on a second layer.

Enjoy!

denise ippolito
06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
I like the bold colors against the black BG. It reminds me of a kaleidoscope. I love the little end pieces.

Patti Edens
06-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Very cool image. Making a kaleidoscope is great use of the Flip technique! I love the bold colors against the black background.

Cindy Cone
06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
I like this a lot, Mark. Great job with the multiple flips. The vibrant colors work well with the black background. The detailed center really draws the eye into the photo.

Lance Peters
06-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Now thats Cool Mark - Like it - Graphically very strong image.
Nice PP work!!!

Paul Lagasi
06-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Nice image, wild colors..agree with other about the kaleidoscope look, very well done

Kerry Perkins
06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Mark, this is excellent! I've been thinking for days about how to get a kaleidoscope look and now I know. Love it! Ditto liking the colors against the black. Very well done!

Cheryl Slechta
06-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Mark, really well done. Definitely a kaleidescope. The little end pieces look like little feet:)

Jackie Schuknecht
06-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Does look like a kaleidescope Mark. Very striking image.

Julie Kenward
06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Mark, can you show me what you started with? I'd love to know how you did this. My brain just can't get wrapped around what you started with and how you got to this point. It's amazing!

Mark Fuge
07-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

This one was a little more work than normal. It took about two days, due to need to learn some new tricks of the trade. But I think it was worth it! :D

Jules and whomever shares her need to know. See attached step guide used for this. The hardest part was cleaning up the voids to let the BG come through as desired. But the process is reasonably simple after that, once you figure out the pitfalls. :eek: ;)

I used the magic eraser for most big areas, but you need to watch closely what it removes, or you may start over a few times!!! :eek: Once the big areas were removed and I trimmed away other larger areas with an eraser, I used the smallest eraser I could to fine tune the cleanup. I also worked in the largest screen blowup that I could while maintaining some feel for the area being worked. Just a few hints to help those who may never have ventured into the world of flips and the cleanup required to get the image shown.

You may want to copy the steps image and enlarge it in PS to read it. I tired to make the text large enough, but my antique eyes are having a hard time with it! So do as needed!! :D

Enjoy!

Kerry Perkins
07-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Mark, thank you for posting this workflow! Very nice of you to share. I'm definitely going to have a go at this technique. Very cool!! :)

Julie Kenward
07-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Mark I never would have thought that that is what you started with. Amazing how you see those flips "lying in wait." I can't wait to try it!

Mark Fuge
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for comments, Kerry & Jules.

As others have said, not everything works, but when it does, it can be very interesting.

Sometimes you will not know where you are going either. Just let the juices flow and you might be surprised at what you see! :D

Anita Bower
07-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Love it! Glorious colors that pop against the black.

Mark Fuge
07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Thnak you for viewing and comments, Anita

Appreciate it. ;)

Anita Bower
07-05-2010, 09:36 AM
CONGRATULATIONS. Well deserved.

Mark Fuge
07-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks Anita. Appreciate your comment.