PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge?

Dave Blinder
06-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi everyone - I received an email inquiring about the use of one of my bird photos as an exhibit at a Migratory bird center in the US (central region). I imagine I will need to send out the high-res jpeg, and I've been told it will be a one time usage. The person who contacted me has asked what my fee would be. Very little of my income is from nature photography.

While, I'm not starving for my money (thank god!), I'm hoping to get my artwork displayed and make a few $$$ out of this. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking $150-$200 is the magic number? What does everyone think?

This is the photo requested - http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidraymond/3599972910/

Thanks!
Dave

denise ippolito
06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Dave, Can't comment on the amount but would like to say congratulations! Beautiful image!!:)

Fabs Forns
06-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Congratulations, you m ay find some info here:

http://www.photographersindex.com/price-ed-calc.htm

Allen Johnson
06-30-2010, 09:39 PM
this is very helpful thanks for sharing!!

Dave Blinder
07-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks everyone, I fired off a response of $200 because I didn't want to miss the opportunity. No response yet.

- Dave

Fabs Forns
07-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Dave, that seems reasonable to me.

Roger Clark
07-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Dave,
When you say Migratory bird center, is that a commercial, non profit, government, state university, etc. organization? For non profit education and research, I donate my images free of charge unless they want a print, then I give it to them at cost. I would rather see research dollars go for ... research, but that's just me because I'm a researcher.

Roger

Dave Blinder
07-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Dave,
When you say Migratory bird center, is that a commercial, non profit, government, state university, etc. organization? For non profit education and research, I donate my images free of charge unless they want a print, then I give it to them at cost. I would rather see research dollars go for ... research, but that's just me because I'm a researcher.

Roger

Hi Roger - I'm unfamiliar with the area, but I found this on the internet

"The Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary encompasses a total of 3700 acres. Within the Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary is a 1200 acre wetland/prairie restoration project."

The construction and funding is being done by the Army Corps of Engineers. Actually sounds like an outstanding nature area, hope I make it there sometime!

http://www.mvs.usace.army.mil/rivers/RMBS.html

Roger Clark
07-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Dave,
That looks like a great project to which I would donate images.

Roger

Dug Threewitt
07-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Roger - I'm unfamiliar with the area, but I found this on the internet

"The Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary encompasses a total of 3700 acres. Within the Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary is a 1200 acre wetland/prairie restoration project."

The construction and funding is being done by the Army Corps of Engineers. Actually sounds like an outstanding nature area, hope I make it there sometime!

http://www.mvs.usace.army.mil/rivers/RMBS.html

That's a great place that I head to every spring. Congrats on the offer.

Bill Coatney
07-02-2010, 07:10 PM
That area is 12 miles from my house and I photograph there nearly every weekend and most evenings in the summer.

I would be surprised if the COE is in the "purchasing" mode-- they usually prefer a straight donation-- with photo credit of course

The COE's management of the area is open to debate but they have one major success in the design of a Least Tern nesting barge since the man made Least Tern Island is usually under water during the nesting season (floods and channel maintenance) --
some of their other projects have been less successful but you have to keep in mind it is the COE and I have to give them credit for at least trying

I gave a presentation to the St Louis Camera Club a month or two ago about the area for the time period of January to June (2009) and if you are interested you can have a pdf of the presentation emailed to you by going to the St Louis Camera Club speakers notes-- it doesn't have my witty and entertaining commentary :):o but it should give you an idea about the photographic opportunities and approx dates.

link to the speakers notes page

http://www.stlcameraclub.com/new-speaker-notes/send-program-notes-pdf-files-1.php

Bill Coatney
07-03-2010, 05:31 AM
My wife reminded me that you are probably dealing with the St Louis Audubon group--

they are building a $7 million building right next to the COE HQ--

I think they can afford your fee :D:D:D

good luck

Arthur Morris
07-03-2010, 06:13 AM
We donate to lots of worthy conservation porjects, especially those that are doing good work, are not paying the administrators $200 K per year, and are not spending millions on new buildings....

For anyone serious about selling and pricing images I strongly recommend their getting Foto Quote by Cradoc.