PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Swallowtail, female

Allen Sparks
06-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Canon 40D, Canon 300mm f4 plus Tamron 1.4x SP Pro teleconverter, monopod
ISO 400, f13, 1/400s, natural light

Thanks Ken for the tip on where to find these butterflies....

Julie Kenward
06-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Beautiful butterfly, Allen! Such a perfect specimen w/the tail intact and everything. I love the close crop and the angle of the bf in the frame. Only thing that's got me "bugged" is the flower at the top of the frame. I'd clone/paint over it so the eye goes to the in focus flower/bf and not to the top of the frame.

Adrian David
06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Absolutely gorgeous butterfly!
Long time ago, this species was common in Romania.I remember them from my childhood, when I was chasing them...(I'm not responsible for their disappearance....:o)

Ken Childs
06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm glad you were able to get out there while the big numbers were still around.

This is a great shot and she's a beauty! She's got some damage but it's not too bad. I agree with Jules that you should try to clone over the light area at the top. If you have the space, a slight CCW rotation might look good and maybe lightening it up just a bit with SH would bring out more detail and could make that blue really shine.

Paul Lagasi
06-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Agree with all the comments above, what lovely details on this butterfly Allen..I wish we had these guys up here...very nicely done,

Bob Miller
06-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Hi Allen...You got some very nice detail here! Nice work! Agree with cloning suggestion and slight CCW.

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey Allen,
Oh yeah....close to perfect specimen! Jules nailed the critique for me and while I think the rotation will also work.....not absolutely necessary to strengthen. Make the tweaks....this will rock!!!

Anita Bower
07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Lovely! Nice detail. I especially like that the butterfly is on a Monarda, a native flower. We have these lovely butterflies around here also.

Jonathan Ashton
07-05-2010, 05:14 AM
What cracker! Not a whole lot wrong with this - I really like the composition, I think the slightly less than vertical appearance of the butterfly renders a more natural look than would a perfectly square on view. I agree about the small patch at the top - though I have to confess it didn't bother me until I read the comments! The light and the colours are superb - a shot to be proud of!:)