Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Spot AF

I can't resist these little moths each year I look out for them. I take the images early morning when possible so that they are generally less active. I took quite a few images some with and some without fill in flash. This one was without fill in flash and the ambient light was not too bright.
All comments welcome.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Love those rich reds. Nice details in those dark wings + that sheen off the wings look lovely.
You've managed good DOF despite the odd angle (i.e. the insects are not on same plane from where you shot it). Just out of curiosity, do you have any images where the insects are parallel to the image plane ?

Julie Kenward
06-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Neat sheen on these, Jon. I think overall the image has good detail and clarity but wonder if it could have a little more pop (especially in the BG) with a slight curves adjustment? Nice diagonal line going through the center and agree with Kaushik that I'm surprised at how good your DOF is with them being at this odd angle. Way to go!

Jonathan Ashton
06-30-2010, 07:36 AM
I have more taken at a slightly different angle, i.e. more in tune with the camera back - the background is different!:)

Bob Miller
06-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Nice image...I have never seen these! very cool bugs!

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey Jonathan,
You know.....this would make a very interesting study in macro......I like the ambient light here.....but you were definitely pushing the envelope at 1/15 sec. Question.....why ISO 100? I'm not going where you think....more DOF.......I am more interested in the other angle.....less DOF.......yet more SS due to higher ISO and lower f-stop to tame the BG. These are all things I consider B4 taking my first shot.....especially in a natural light situation in the field! Just giving you some insight into the thought process.
All that being said........I love the iridescence of the wings! Great BG too....but I too wish for the better angle.

Anita Bower
07-01-2010, 07:29 PM
These moths are lovely. Fantastic colors. I like the two on the one branch. I like how the moths stand out from the lovely BG.

Jonathan Ashton
07-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Thank you for your comments everyone - much appreciated. Roman the thought process is cover all bases, I shot these moths at ISO 100, 200 and at f5.6 f8 f11 f16, I have found that if the focus is in the right plane then f8 is often quite adequate and of course it has the effect of muting the background far more effectively than f11 or higher. I try to get one in at ISO 100 simply because it should give the best possible quality - I am always trying to use the tripod and whenever practicable I use the mirror lock up and the cable release.