PDA

View Full Version : Least Tern with Dinner

Bob Decker
06-29-2010, 09:25 PM
http://carolinafootprints.com/images/10_June_28_Tern01.jpg

We have a fairly healthy colony of Least Terns on a nearby beach this year. I don't recall seeing them there in the past. Wind was blowing 15 to 20 and the blowing sand was hard to tolerate. There was no way I'd turn my lens into the wind in these conditions. Shot from a tripod, 40D, Bigma @ 500mm, iso 800, f/5.6, 1/3200.

Troy Lim
06-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Bob, I like this shot. Good job.

Alfred Forns
06-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Bob Excellent feel to this image !! Really like it !!

Like the crop as presented, the space on top seems to work here, good behavior and great looking eye !! btw wind wise you shouldn't have to turn into the wind much since the birds normally do !!! ... btw not crazy about the black border, wonder what others think !!!

Dave Mills
06-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi Bob, I like the low angle along with good exposure. Nice catchlight and catch.
I feel the image lends itself to a pano crop which would strenthen the birds impact.
Agree with Al regarding the frame. Many folks think that it enhances an images but it really is a distraction.

Bob Decker
06-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys. I don't usually link a photo with a frame here. I do use that format on my blog. This was a case of linking the wrong version, but it is interesting to hear your thoughts on the framing. Perhaps a simple keyline around the photo for the blog-site would be better? (blog-site is the URL in my signature)