PDA

View Full Version : Rose Swirls

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Did I mention Longwood Gardens also has some fantastic roses?!!! When I can actually break away from the water lilies.....I head for the orchids, roses, and hibiscus! This one just glowed and that is what attracted me to its color.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro at f32 (where else) and ISO 800 for 1/125 sec. and the MT24 twin flashes at +1 HH. had to take about 20 to not get anything clipped! Yeah....I could have backed up....but what fun would that be?!!!
Something makes me want to go out and buy an orange creamcicle now!

Jory Griesman
06-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Well, I certainly can't let you be shut out today, Roman, so I feel I must be the first to comment.
Maybe if you would have gone to f/64 :D you would have had more DOF! Actually, very nice job in getting many parts of the rose in different planes all in focus. I like the comp - a good candidate for a "centred" crop/composition. Thought about cropping a bit tighter, but I like the "looser" peripheral petals, so would leave as is. The only thing I might tweak (that is, clone out) is the brown area at 3 o'clock on the top edge of the petal.

Nicely done.

Bob Miller
06-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi Roman....Love the glowing colors! Nice composition as well! Agree about brown edge of petal needing some work!

Julie Kenward
06-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Lovely rose, Roman. I also want a creamsicle for some odd reason. ;)

I love almost everything about this - I'm just unsure of the dark hole at the center. I can't figure out if I like how it anchors the whole image or if I would prefer it be lighter and "creamier" like the rest of the rose.

denise ippolito
06-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Roman, I can almost smell it. I love the colors and the comp. Very well done.:)

Ken Childs
06-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Roman, this is lovely as is but I think I'd prefer a tighter crop with the center of the flower closer to a ROT position.

Paul Lagasi
07-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Roman..I usually don't comment on flowers much..but I like the treatment, composition and color tones in this image...well done

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Hey All,
Thanks!!! Will revisit the 3 o'clock brown (how'd I miss that!).....as for the centered comp.....I struggled with that in the field......decided I liked the central comp....w/o getting any BG in! Maybe it's just that I'm an Orange Creamcicle fan!!!

Anita Bower
07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
The light and color are scrumptious! The rose seems to glow. I like the crop and composition. The black center bothers me a bit--more at first and less now that I've looked at the image longer. At first it felt like I'm going to fall into the black hole. Beautiful.