PDA

View Full Version : Lollipop Lily

Jory Griesman
06-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Went into the backyard the other day to try to catch the lillies while still optimal. I'm relatively new at macro, but I liked this image, so thought I'd submit it. Wondering what you think of the darker, orangy part in the middle, at the top. I think it adds some interest, rather than a distraction, but not sure. For you purists, avert your eyes, re: background (man made gradient in Photoshop). Original background was OK, but off-white and not interesting. Water droplet is natural (just rained).

Nikon D700 with 105 mm f/2.8 lens
1/640 sec, f/11, ISO 800, manual focus

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Hey Jory,
While I may be the max DOF guy on the forum.....I do like soft focus images when done well. I think you chose a nice focus point with the water drop.....I am debating the stem competing with the flower though and wondering if I would have like more of the DOF on the base/cup of the tulip. I think you are correct in wondering about the colors in the flower petals but will offer you a suggestion; Did you try lightening that part?.....avoiding the bright area of the petals on left and just seeing what that does? I think this may help balance the stem more and provide a better balance throughout.

Jory Griesman
06-29-2010, 04:05 PM
I tried several different things, none of which looked "natural". I could have blurred the stem, but liked the contrast of having something more than the water droplet sharp. I lightened the stem, which was darker, and "hiding" details/information.

Bob Miller
06-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Hi Jory! I like this as presented alot!

Kaushik Balakumar
06-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Absolutely beautiful image. Nice 'metallic' shining drop with that soft OOF petals.
Just wondering if the image could be rotated such that the stem starts from the LRC (while still keeping the petal edge ending in URC). Just my thoughts... :)

Julie Kenward
06-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Good suggestions by everyone! I also like your choice of focus. I normally like to see the bottom of the cup more in focus but this works for me because of the water drop.

I do think I'd lighten/brighten the orange area so it is closer to the rest of the lily just because that area feels a bit "dirty" when the rest of the image has that beautiful metalic glow to it. Love the gradient in the BG also.

Ken Childs
06-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Jory, I really like the main focus being on the drop of water. Some great suggestions have been given. I think that following them can take this nice image over the top!

Anita Bower
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
What an interesting image. I like the composition and the colors. The BG works really well. I like the water drop and the beautiful curves and shapes at the bottom of the flower. Nicely done!