PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer

Ricardo Rodriguez
06-29-2010, 06:19 AM
This is another skimmer from the colony at Marco Island, FL. The eye is a challenge with skimmers (looks much better in the non-jpeg version). Added catch light and canvas on top and bottom; slight crop on left and right for composition.

D3S, 70-200 f/2.8 + 2.0 TC (@ 290mm), HH
ISO 1250, f/8, 1/2000
Viveza, Sharpener Pro, Dfine NR

Dave Mills
06-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Ricardo,good wing position and positioned well in the frame.Even lighting with fairly good detail in the wings.I see you lightened the eye which is visible but doesn't quite look normal.All in all a pleasing image...

Bill Dix
06-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Nice full wing spread and head position. Agree that the eye is difficult here and with skimmers generally - I can't really see the catchlight on my screen, but my monitor isn't very sharp. Don't know if it's possible to tweak just a bit more detail out of the blacks? Were it mine I might consider cropping even slightly more left and right to make it more decidedly vertical, but that's personal preference -- don't want to take away all of his 'fly-into' space.

btw- I like your tag line. Several days ago I saw the Cartier-Bresson exhibit at MOMA in NYC. Amazing stuff, especially considering most of it is SOC.

Troy Lim
06-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Ricardo, everything is great here except for the eye. :)

Alfred Forns
06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi Ricardo The eye is about the only thing and it is tough on them guys !! btw if you can post the converted image in jpeg will give it a try tonight !!!

Lance Peters
06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
The eye has it :) Like the pose and the composition is good.
Just no visible eye - tough birds - same as our terns, very hard to get that eye in anything but soft light.
There is a tutorial in the educational resources forum about adding catchlights.
Keep em coming :)

Harold Davis
06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
agree with the rest....only the eye needs work. the rest looks fantastic! i love the topside view!!

Arthur Morris
06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Great pose and sharpness. Do check out the Eye Doctor techniques in Digital Basics....

Ricardo Rodriguez
06-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I was so disturbed by the eye problem that I initially decided not to post this image, even though I had put a lot of effort into trying to fix it. Since I liked the rest of the image, I went against my best judgment and decided to take another stab at PP and post it. I'm glad I did, as I now can focus on learning the eye techniques you suggest: need to make an appointment with the Eye Doctor!

Thanks, again.

Ricardo Rodriguez
06-29-2010, 09:52 PM
BTW, Bill, I envy you on seeing the Cartier-Bresson exhibit at the MOMA.

Arthur Morris
06-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I was so disturbed by the eye problem that I initially decided not to post this image, even though I had put a lot of effort into trying to fix it. Since I liked the rest of the image, I went against my best judgment and decided to take another stab at PP and post it. I'm glad I did, as I now can focus on learning the eye techniques you suggest: need to make an appointment with the Eye Doctor! Thanks, again.

Good plan. They Eye Doctor believes that all eye can be repaired :)