PDA

View Full Version : Closeup Fox Kit

Layton E Parham
06-28-2010, 06:21 PM
A better view of Kit close to it's den. Colorado
Canon 1D Mark IV, 500F4L IS, F5.61.4 tele, Iso800,1/2000sec, manual, slight crop

Tom Redd
06-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Beautiful shot, I spent a fair amount of time this spring trying to find some kits to photograph, I found foxes, but missed the Kits. Good for you. I am new here, so take my question for what it is worth. Would you have increased the DOF a little bit if you had to do it over or not? I would like to know what you think as well as others. Just curious so I can learn. Thanks and well done.

David Thomasson
06-28-2010, 11:05 PM
What a cutie face! Great capture. Love that curious stare.

I think it's a tad underexposed. I tried bringing it up. Also brightened the eyes a little and applied some selective sharpening to the face.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5658/foxkit.jpg

Steve Kaluski
06-29-2010, 06:09 AM
I think firstly Tom is to ask if Layton has blurred anything or is that direct from camera?

A cute pose and the crop is comfortable, however David's reworked image shows the detail that is imbedded within the image that just needs a bit more TLC to bring all of it out.

Nice work David, I think we might need to change your Avitar to the 'BPN/PS Caped Crusader' :D although it does look a little over sharpened perhaps?

TFS
Steve

David Thomasson
06-29-2010, 09:09 AM
it does look a little over sharpened perhaps?
TFS
Steve

Possibly so. Or possibly a difference in personal preferences. Or it could be a difference in monitors; most
have sharpness settings, and different people use different settings. I'm not seeing any obvious
sharpening artifacts on my monitor.

Steve Kaluski
06-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm not seeing any obvious sharpening artifacts on my monitor.

I didn't say there was david, just a visual thing. :)

David Thomasson
06-29-2010, 09:48 AM
I didn't say there was david, just a visual thing. :)

Understood. But when an image looks oversharpened (to me), I can zoom in and find artifacts that account for that impression.

Steve Kaluski
06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
OK, thanks for the explanation :)

Alfred Forns
06-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Great point on the artifacts David !!!

Very nice Layton, the tweaks brought out the beauty !!! Stopping down wise I think there is enough dof and would not introduce more detail in bg ..understand its possible to blur a little after !! ... btw if you check the histogram the image should have been a bit under exposed maybe 2/3 .. careful with high ISO noise when having to open up !!

Harshad Barve
07-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Excellent image and such a cute guy , First time I have disagree with David here , Liked the soft look in OP very much , on my calibarted monitor David's repost looks oversharp
TFS