PDA

View Full Version : Theme Burrowing owl feeding chick

Gene Potter
06-28-2010, 04:53 PM
I think this qualifies for the current project, although taken last month. There were five chicks in the nest and all were still going strong two 2 weeks ago. The one being feed we call runt, being the smallest of the five. Enjoy!
Nikon D300
Nikkor 400mm f2.8 AFS II
Exposure program Aperture priority
ISO speed ratings ISO 320
Date/time original 5/21/2009 8:28:27 PM
Shutter speed value 1/800 s
Aperture value f/7.1
Exposure bias value 0.00 eV
Subject distance 10 m
Metering mode Pattern
Flash Flash did not fire
Focal length 400 mm
White balance Auto white balance

Colin Knight
06-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I would like a bit more room on top. I love the interaction here. Nice sharpness and detail. The closed eye of the "runt" doesn't bother me at all, and my eye goes right to the brilliant yellow eye of the mother.

Well done for sure!

Arthur Morris
06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Perfect timing on the spaghetti hand-over :) EXP good. Bummer about the bands. The closed eye of the young bird is surely a protective move but it detracts from the image for me. Lastly, you cut off the virtual feet of the youngster.

Michael Pancier
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
very surprised you captured the behavior. The owls down here in Broward that I've been following for weeks now, their chicks will run down in the burrow the minute anyone gets within an eye shot of the nest. very skittish.

Craig Brelsford
06-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Great shot, a little too tightly cropped. The bands inject another element into the story. The photo may be less successful as a "pure nature" shot but could be very useful to whoever banded the birds. I like that lens you're using.

Gene Potter
06-29-2010, 07:53 AM
I would like a bit more room on top. I love the interaction here. Nice sharpness and detail. The closed eye of the "runt" doesn't bother me at all, and my eye goes right to the brilliant yellow eye of the mother.

Well done for sure!

Thanks for your comments. The crop is slight and I am trying to fill the frame here.:o

Gene Potter
06-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Perfect timing on the spaghetti hand-over :) EXP good. Bummer about the bands. The closed eye of the young bird is surely a protective move but it detracts from the image for me. Lastly, you cut off the virtual feet of the youngster.

I disagree about virtual feet. The chick is on the same level as the frog they are feeding on. That puts the feet well above the bottom of the frame, obscured or course by the grass. Thanks for your input.

Gene Potter
06-29-2010, 08:07 AM
very surprised you captured the behavior. The owls down here in Broward that I've been following for weeks now, their chicks will run down in the burrow the minute anyone gets within an eye shot of the nest. very skittish.

Most of the other birds in this location do the same. These guys become alarmed at first, then become accustom to you. We were able to get quite close after the initial introductions were over. Thanks for looking…

Gene Potter
06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Great shot, a little too tightly cropped. The bands inject another element into the story. The photo may be less successful as a "pure nature" shot but could be very useful to whoever banded the birds. I like that lens you're using.

Bands are a fact of life in wildlife photography these days. I guess I could have spent considerable time cloning them out, but then again, in my opinion, that would detract from the story. These are a threatened species. Let’s hope that public funds remain available for continued programs and research to keep around for a long while.

Daniel Cadieux
06-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Awesome interaction of this seldom seen behaviour (at least with this species). I think I would be squinting too if I had to eat that! As for the chick's feet, even if they were completely above the frame you still needed more room below them than what you have here, at least artistically speaking, as they are quite close to touching the edge.

Gene Potter
06-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Awesome interaction of this seldom seen behaviour (at least with this species). I think I would be squinting too if I had to eat that! As for the chick's feet, even if they were completely above the frame you still needed more room below them than what you have here, at least artistically speaking, as they are quite close to touching the edge.

On the contrary, these birds love frog! It tastes like chicken. Bad joke…
It’s a tight crop for sure. Thanks for your comments.