PDA

View Full Version : Rose-breasted Grosbeak family

Bill Dix
06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
D90; 80-400 VR @ 400mm. ISO 2500. f/5.6, 1/125s. 0EV. Tripod.

Pulled this from my files of last June, and applied the latest Topaz DeNoise 4 to clean it up. These Grosbeaks had built their nest in a bush at eye level, in the woods not too far from a well-used gravel road. Mr. and Mrs. took turns coming in with food for the chicks, and weren't at all concerned with me standing at the edge of the road. I would have loved to go in and do a bit of pruning so the male wouldn't be so obscured, but felt the edge of the road was my ethical limit. Mixed shade and filtered sun added to the difficulties; so this one goes in the category of great opportunity not quite realized. C&C appreciated.

Harold Davis
06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
that is totally cute!! i'd crop a lttle off the bottom and left and correct the green cast. i think you did as well as you could. you got the cute threesome in the clear and that's what matters most here!

Lance Peters
06-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi Bill - cant see how you could have done any better - agree with Harold! Does seem to have a green cast.
Like how you can just see the adults eye and she is watching you!!' and the babies are all awaiting moms return.
Cute image.

Rachel Hollander
06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Bill - well done. I agree with Harold and Lance's comments. I think I would call it "the Chorus".

TFS,
Rachel

Alfred Forns
06-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi Bill I like the selected crop showing the parent, a little more of less is taste !! If you have the focal length might go tighter on the birds also !! ... PS wise would lower saturation in the green channel a bit !! Great nest !!

Dave Mills
06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi Bill, One of these situations where you would only want 1 minute to clear some branches but know you can't.
I also see a green cast and good advice regarding lowering the green channel. You had a nice moment and with all the difficulties got a good behavioral image...

Bill Dix
06-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Thank you all for the helpful comments. I've desaturated the green channel about 25 points, and also added an orange filter at 25% opacity to shift away from the green cast. Also rotated CW slightly, and cropped in from left to focus more on the birds. (OP was about 70% of FF). Also toned down a few bright leaves in the bg, and cleaned up the parent's eye.