03-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - Titusville, FL on 2/3/08

Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 15mm Fisheye
1/250 sec, f/14
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 400

This is an HDR Image from 7 exposures from -3 to +3 Exposure Compensation in AV Mode. The exposure shown is the 0 EC exposure. The horizon is straight and I had it right in the middle of the image so no distortion from the fisheye. The far shore is at an angle to the camera - hence the appearance of distortion.

Comments welcome.

Charles Senkus
03-05-2008, 08:33 AM
i like it but i think most people would start spouting the rule of thirds--i think it has a balance that draws you right into the middle wondering what is there also the land has a bit of a sureal feel.

Vincent Grafhorst
03-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I love the extreme wide angle view as a result from your fish eye lens Robert. The composition works for me with the horizon in the middle and I think placing the horizon on either one 1/3-line would actually degrade the image coz it is all about the reflection and the symmetry. My question to you is why you used ISO400. Obviously you were using a tripod? Maybe you wanted to get a high SS to prevent problems when merging? Did you use a polariser (don't even know if this is possible on a fish-eye lens though)?

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Vincent,

It was handheld. I almost always shoot at ISO 400. With the Mark III, there is no decerible noise and with the +7 exposure range for the HDR, some of the shutter speeds were slow. No polarizer with the fisheye - lens has too much curvature. Thanks for your comments.

Roman Kurywczak
03-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Hey Robert,
Love the look of this one. Only wish you had thrown in a rock or interesting branch in foreground to break up reflection a bit.........or just when you need a gator.
Roman

Michael Pancier
03-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Most cool. Love the clouds. My favorite kind besides the crazy huge puffy storm clouds.

have you tried that fisheye on a full frame camera? I shot with a friend's fish eye (generic) at antelope and thought of getting the Canon 15mm.

Also, does the MIII have 3 stops of exp. comp?

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Michael,

Yes I had used the fisheye on my 1Ds Mark II. The MIII will actually bracket higher then 3 stops but it does not show it well on the analog scale. You can program it for 7 bracketed images up to 3 stops apart.

Gayle Clement
03-05-2008, 09:25 PM
I really like this, Robert. The horizon in the middle works well and those clouds are spectacular.