PDA

View Full Version : Large red Damselflies

Jonathan Ashton
06-28-2010, 05:25 AM
Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro tripod, ISO 640 1/250 sec f6.3
Tricky lighting but I like to get behavioural shots if at all possible.

All comments welcome.

Tim Munsey
06-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Looks like you're a fellow countryman Jon, like the light coming through the top damsel and the composition, perhaps another for some subtle shadow highlight treatment.

Tim

Jonathan Ashton
06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks Tim, I have played around with the Shadows Highlights and found it problematical, the light was very strong but if anyone wants to have a try to improve I would be grateful I can send the RAW file if required).

Mike Moats
06-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Hey Jonathan, like the comp and diagonal on the stem. I would crop the right side some, and hope some of the PS experts here can help with lightening up the bodies.

Jerry van Dijk
06-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi Johnatan, I think you did a good job considering the circumstances. No PP expert, so I can't help you with that. I wish the DF's had chosen a prettier perch. You might consider cloning out the brightly lit bud at the upper end of the stem.

Ken Childs
06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Jon, I tried pretty much the same thing with this as I did on your chaser shot. SH tool with a heavy shadow adjustment and some added contrast. Since this was pretty dark to start with, lightening it up brought out a lot of noise so I used Neat Image overall and then used the blur tool to hit the really strong noise. If I had the time and the original, I might have tried some selective work on their bodies.

IMO, the SH tool is magic!

Julie Kenward
06-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Way to rock the image, Ken! Excellent behavioral image, Jon. I don't often see the red df's around my area so this is a real treat. Love what Ken did to the image althought I think I'd probably clone over that one really light bud/leaf above the lower df's head.

Bob Miller
06-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Jon....wonderful image! Like the repost by ken but would mask the wings to get the original sense of ligt in the wings. I also agree with getting rid of the very light bud...too distracting!

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2010, 03:43 AM
here goes my second attempt taking into consideration your suggestions, I would be pleased to see what you think - is it a significant improvement? ;)

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Hey Jonathan,
Yeah ......you had tough light but behaviour is always tough to pass up! Fill flash would have realy worked here in the field bringing out more detail in the body. I like using the 580EX because it is very easy and quick to power down so you may have been able to get a few off quickly at say minus 1 to even 0.....because of the light angle.....just something to keep in mind.
I did like Ken's repost but find yours more natural. Get the top DF's eye closer to the rear one with a levels layer.....and that would be the final tweak!
Nice job using the advice and suggestions to get the OP up another notch!