PDA

View Full Version : Noise

Alfred Forns
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Have some observations regarding noise, exposure and image quality that wanted to pass along. We always talk about exposing to the right, noise creeps with under exposure etc.

Had a chance to shoot a couple of rodeos and I'm amazed at results. For the first we had the exposure sort of OK but not pushed all the way to the right, as you go more to the right yo loose shutter speed and when shooting action gets your attention. ISO was only 1600 ... results were salvageable but not good. Images needed lots of work be usable and quality was not there. Last night we went up to 3200 but made sure it was all the way to the right with a few blinkies showing on extreme whites (not many) and results were excellent, good IQ.

Not posting the images here since we like to keep all nature related but can see a couple in Friends and Family. Fabs slow pan was taken a low ISO but the other at 3200. Will be posting more in the next few days so you might want to take a look.

With birds in the field is a little tougher with harsh light but it applies the same. Might want to try under exposing one on purpose, take two or three with one being perfect. Difference will be day and night !!! We talk a lot about noise might be a good idea to experiment and see for yourself !!

Gus Hallgren
06-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Al

Very interesting, ISO 400 is Max on my camera, however, looking for a change. Higher ISO and fast focusing. Nikon D90 close, especially at the price. However, will cost some bucks to buy a 400 that can handle a tele convertor at ease.

Appreciate your tips

Gus

Alfred Forns
06-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Gus do try with your present camera, I was shocked at the difference between the two events ! Night and day !!

Tom Redd
06-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Thank you for the advice, I will try this. I tend to under expose everything and noise is a problem.

Meesh Fink
06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Good topic! Alfred, when you expose to the right, do you go to the point of having a few blinkies, or do you try to have no blinkies?

Colin Knight
06-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Seems like "a few blinkies" is the way to go. But it's a thin, fine line....

Alfred Forns
06-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Depending on the subject a few will be no problem. Sometimes we have them on purpose like at the rodeo & high iso

Lance Peters
06-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi AL - good info - Think I said the same sort of thing in another post - The real secret is KNOWING how far you can over expose those whites (yes having blinkies - not just pushing the histogram to the right) and still be able to recover the whites in PP.
Will see if I can find a example tonight to post. IMHO - it can be done and does work - but be prepared to BLOW some shots whilst you are coming to grips with the learning curve.

Colin Knight
06-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Hi AL - good info - Think I said the same sort of thing in another post - The real secret is KNOWING how far you can over expose those whites (yes having blinkies - not just pushing the histogram to the right) and still be able to recover the whites in PP.
Will see if I can find a example tonight to post. IMHO - it can be done and does work - but be prepared to BLOW some shots whilst you are coming to grips with the learning curve.

Yes you did say just that! =)

Harold Davis
06-28-2010, 04:41 PM
even the D50 jill was using was maxed out at ISO 1600 and with the exposures being proper, the images were very manageable!! i was shocked!