PDA

View Full Version : Caracara

Troy Lim
06-26-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.troylimphotography.com/photos/914488491_ZzA65-L.jpg

Tough bird to photography as it is very difficult to get close to these birds.
Caught this shot shortly after this bird went for the roadkill and popped its head up to check the surrounding.
All comments and critiques are greatly appreciated, please don't be shy!

Av Priority
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/2000)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 600 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash

Colin Knight
06-26-2010, 10:46 PM
You did well with the whites and blacks here, no doubt. To me, the bird being partially obscured by the hill tells the story of the stalking that you must have done to get the shot. No doubt you were spotted! :)

Like the eye contact and HA! I would like more natural surroundings though, instead of the cut grass.

Troy Lim
06-26-2010, 10:52 PM
You did well with the whites and blacks here, no doubt. To me, the bird being partially obscured by the hill tells the story of the stalking that you must have done to get the shot. No doubt you were spotted! :)

Like the eye contact and HA! I would like more natural surroundings though, instead of the cut grass.

Colin, this is my first Caracara, I'll take what I could get now. :)
You have a point about th cut grass, certainly, I'll try my best as always to get better images. I hope to get one soon. They usually stay deep in a tree from what I have been told and witnessed this morning. Appreciate your help, thanks.

Colin Knight
06-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Troy, also, I'm not familiar with this bird, having only seen them a few times here. What's the bare spot on the breast? Is that normal?

Fabs Forns
06-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Here would be the time to have used f/5.6 to isolate the bird from the BG.
They are amazing birds, composition is neat.

Brian Zwiebel
06-27-2010, 04:00 AM
Nice image Troy, in good light with an attentive pose. I'd be happy to have this one. Good Shooting!

BZ

Juan Aragonés
06-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Composition, head turns and eye contact works for me. I agree about the grass being a bit unnatural but I didn´t noticed that until I read the comment that clknith made. By the way, I think that the bare area in the breast is the result of a good meal ;)

Troy Lim
06-27-2010, 04:51 AM
Troy, also, I'm not familiar with this bird, having only seen them a few times here. What's the bare spot on the breast? Is that normal?

Colin,
I forgot the real name for it. It is like a pouch, the more they eat, the bigger it gets, so you can tell how full they are. This is what I have been told.

Troy Lim
06-27-2010, 04:52 AM
Here would be the time to have used f/5.6 to isolate the bird from the BG.
They are amazing birds, composition is neat.

Thank you Fabs. I will try that next time.

Troy Lim
06-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Nice image Troy, in good light with an attentive pose. I'd be happy to have this one. Good Shooting!

BZ

Brian, thank you. I was just happy to have found this one that is cooperative yesterday. :)

Troy Lim
06-27-2010, 04:54 AM
Composition, head turns and eye contact works for me. I agree about the grass being a bit unnatural but I didn´t noticed that until I read the comment that clknith made. By the way, I think that the bare area in the breast is the result of a good meal ;)

Juan, you are correct, from a great meal. ;)
As for the grass, the county owns the land, they should have put the money to a better use. LOL. :D

Stu Bowie
06-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Good angle Troy, and his left overs hanging from the beak adds interest. Lovely BG behind him.

Danny J Brown
06-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Hey Troy - Gorgeous image and the facial contact is wonderful on this bird. Bokeh makes me think of a green firestorm. Nice.

DB

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey Troy,
A keeper even if it wasn't your first! I'm usually not a huge fan of stuff in the FG....but it does work quite effectively.....even w/ cut grass. Nicely done!

Troy Lim
06-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Good angle Troy, and his left overs hanging from the beak adds interest. Lovely BG behind him.

Stuart, thank you. I chose this one, I have another one with roadkill, maybe i will post that soon but may gross some people out.

Troy Lim
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey Troy - Gorgeous image and the facial contact is wonderful on this bird. Bokeh makes me think of a green firestorm. Nice.

DB

Danny, thank you very much.

Troy Lim
06-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey Troy,
A keeper even if it wasn't your first! I'm usually not a huge fan of stuff in the FG....but it does work quite effectively.....even w/ cut grass. Nicely done!

Roman, thank you.
I try to trim as much of it but ended up with this to keep the balance on the top.

Fernando Diez
06-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Troy, I like the point of view, and the HA. Great image, it is difficult to approach these birds, at least here. Good sharpness and detail in black and white.
Congratulations, Fer

Troy Lim
06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi Troy, I like the point of view, and the HA. Great image, it is difficult to approach these birds, at least here. Good sharpness and detail in black and white.
Congratulations, Fer

Thank you Fernando.