PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Hole

Bob Miller
06-26-2010, 08:00 PM
I took this on a workshop in Maine recently...I was trying out my new vari ND filter for long exposures
Nikon D-300
4 sec at f16
ISO200
12-24 mm Tokina lense at 12 mm
All comments welcome!

Robert Amoruso
06-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Bob,

This image relies more on the strong patterns and details in the rocks in the FG. I am looking for this detail but cannot see it well. I did a repost where I performed the following.

Shadow Highlights and opened up shadows.
Selective Color adjustment where I added or subtracted black from the different colors to affect the scene's tonality. Best way to do this is go to the extreme on the slider and observe the results.
I selectively sharpened the rocks. I feel in the repost the middle ground rocks are oversharpened and the FG rocks need more sharpening leading me to believe the FG is outside the hyperfocal distance.

Anyway, just a different interpretation.

How do you like that filter? I have been meaning to get one.

I am thinking that I see a bit of a magenta color cast in my version. Also suggest a CW rotation as the horizon appears tilted up.

David Thomasson
06-27-2010, 09:53 AM
You did well with that long exposure! I find this a very pleasing composition. Interesting details and light
reflections on the foreground rocks. I agree with Robert about bringing those out a bit more.

I'm puzzled by the large dark spot in the upper right. A mistaken click with a large brush during processing?
Or some kind of lens artifact? I'm not sure, but it jumped out at me.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/32/rocksq.gif

Low-light shots like this often have a blue cast. I experimented with adjusting the whites on the water more toward
neutral. That brought out some reds lurking under the surface (I didn't otherwise add or enhance them). Just a matter
of personal preference which way you go with white balance.

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4296/rocks2.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Hey Bob,
VG observations above. First let's start with the comp.....whhich I think is excellent! Love the flow of the whole image. I do agree with opening up some more depth to the layers and I like how both reposts did that....just a matter of which color direction you want to go. Now as for the water....I like both reposts too but I do feel the Color in David's feel more like sunrise?.....and he kept the darkness of the hill line....although I might go back to in between your op and his on the light on the rocks. Whew!
Remember......these are just tweaks to an excellent comp so any minor tweaks just make a great image.....just that much better!

Dave Mills
06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Bob, Great analysis given! Going back and forth between the reposts it's interesting to see some of the corrective interpretations. The basic comp was solid but imo needed some depth and pop. Robert's repost lightened the comp and brought out more detail. Davids repost took it a step farther ridding the imageof the cast and adding more color and warmth. Both posts contributing to making the image shine...

Bob Miller
06-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the help....I can see i need to work with my PS skills some more! love both reposts!

Kobus Tollig
06-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Great shot here well done. Some good comments you got here. I like the second post and i think you did well