PDA

View Full Version : First Snow in Rocky Mtn Nat Park

Jared Gricoskie
03-04-2008, 08:57 PM
http://www.ywguiding.com/first-snow-morning.jpg

This was one of the few shots I've taken while leading a Photo Safari. 3 inches of snow fell in Rocky Mountain National Park on August 30th, 2007 closing Bear Lake Road an hour after we hit the trail so we had the entire Bear Lake region to ourselves.

Nikon D100 (D200 was in the shop after a fall)
1/250 f9 ISO 200 2x GND filter

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Jared,

I like the mood and the diagonal rock lines (two of them) that lead into the image. The FG one comes right out of the lower left edge - which is good placement. I like the sun behind the trees and the backlighting. However, the lack of details in the shadows makes the image look too dark. There is little shadow detail to recover but I did a Shadow/Highlight Adjustment (PSCS3) below and added a bit of contrast.

Roman Kurywczak
03-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Hey Jared,
I think Robert is on to something....but I think you should combine the 2...your original sky and sun with his foreground adjustment. I like the strong sky and silhouettes of the evergreens in your original posts but I feel Roberts foreground adjustments definitely help. Composition is dead on,
Roman

Bob Ettinger
03-05-2008, 02:55 PM
As I was reading all the posts and looking at the report, I liked parts of each. Then I came to Roman's post and agree, combine them. Great job.

Gayle Clement
03-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Roman wrote exactly what I was thinking. Combine the great foreground suggestion from Robert and that original sky.