PDA

View Full Version : Crimson to Turquoise

Morkel Erasmus
06-26-2010, 05:06 PM
This was the very first landscape shot I took with my 7D and 10-22mm lens...

We were on our way for a weekend of fly-fishing (and of course photography) on the South African Highveld. This sunset was very vivid, and I had to stop next to the road and capture something of it.

This was taken handheld as there was no time to dig for the tripod in the car. The foreground was bland so I opted for a silhoutte of a distant treeline.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f8.0 @ 1/100 SS @ ISO-320
Kenko pro CPL filter

Judy Howle
06-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Beautiful colors!

Dave Mills
06-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi Morkel, Beautiful sky and you seem to have no shortage of dramatic clouds. I feel you minimalised the silhouettes as best you could but I would wish for a bit more interest there especially on the left. Another idea would be to crop the top to a bit above the brighter white cloud below your name...

Bob Miller
06-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi Morkel....Lovely colors and dramatic sky! Agree with Dave's crop suggestion!

Robert Amoruso
06-27-2010, 06:51 AM
I too think Dave nailed the critique but I think he met the right side needed more interest. :o

Morkel Erasmus
06-27-2010, 07:38 AM
thanks for the comments everyone...

here is the crop as I understand your suggestion, Dave?
I too wish there was something on the RHS but alas...it was also one of those displays which lasted a few minutes and then it was bland as a bone...

Dave Mills
06-27-2010, 09:44 AM
oops,I stand corrected! Thanks Robert,I meant the rt. side.
Yes, Morkel thats what I meant.
I perfectly well understand your situation. You see a beautiful cloud formation with great light. Then you try and do the best you can to create an interesting comp. Faced with that situation you did pretty well...

Grant Atkinson
06-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi Morkel, I like the repost. Pleasing shot, and I liked the intensity of colour where the sun had just gone down
Thanks for sharing
Is your Wild Coast trip still on that you wrote of, and when?
Grant

Grant Atkinson
06-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Morkel, I got my 10-22 Canon lens in March this year, and am still going wow every time I look through the viewfinder...it is made for our big skies here. I am sure you are going to be posting some amazing pics from it...cheers Grant

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey Morkel,
The repost works for me also but as my original assesment was the same as Dave's and Robert's about the RH side....I started to think what could be further done to possibly improve this. I went into the main cloud and did a levels and B/C boost layer. Minor tweaking on the ULC cloud too. Deicided to crop a bit lower from top too.....further giving weight to the cloud as a balance to the LH side. I did also add a bit to the base. Some ideas for you to explore and given your limitation of having to stay in the vehicle......I think you composed this very nicely!!!

Dave Mills
06-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Nice job Roman! I'm liking it more and more...

Morkel Erasmus
06-27-2010, 02:06 PM
thanks for the repost Roman - I think you are right it's more balanced now...
I wasn't limited to the vehicle in this instance, but there was a private property fenceline next to the road, and I didn't have permission to enter and scout around for a better compo.

Grant I have had mine since early May and I am loving it...definitely made for African skies :)
I am still on for our trip - it's sort-of a mish-mash roadtrip, will do 2 nights Giant's Castle, 3 nights Koffie Bay and then 2 nights Addo and 2 nights Mountain Zebra National Park.

Grant Atkinson
06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Morkel, the road trip sounds good, you should come up with some good stuff from that. I look forward to seeing the results..
cheers
grant