PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Waxwing

Danny J Brown
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Most Missouri birders are in love with cedar waxwings, with their red and yellow paint dollops. They don't have legendary status, as do our bluebirds and cardinals, but they definitely have a strong following. I caught this little fella eating green berries a month or so ago at a conservation area near my house.

Self Critique: End of beak slightly obscured by leaf, head could use about 0.75 degrees toward the lens, blacks a tad dark, and the slightest amount of noise creeping in.

Canon 40D; Canon 500/4; 1/125; f/4.0; ISO 200; Gitzo/Wimberley Combo

Jason G. Harrison
06-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Nice shot Danny! Your self critque had me busting a gut to be honest...too funny. In all my time around these parts...this species is one that evades me. You did a great job with capturing the fine detail of this species feathers. Their feathers are so soft and creamy...most images of them look smooth...yours shows the detail, good job.

Jason

Doug Brown
06-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I like the feather detail and the soft light. Your self-critique is excellent; I would add that the OOF leaf in front of the perch also draws the eye.

Colin Knight
06-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Nice self critique, but I'm thinking .8 degrees, not .75. :)

+1 on doug's comment with the OOF leaf- it's the first distraction I saw.

Nick Palmieri
06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Nice self critique...great detail in the bird. I wonder if the entire BG is a bit bright??? Could be my laptop monitor..TFS

Craig Brelsford
06-27-2010, 07:00 AM
My first distraction was the rather high angle. But sometimes the angle's beyond any photographer's power, and I like what you did with what nature gave you, Danny.