PDA

View Full Version : Making a Splash

Declan Troy
06-26-2010, 01:20 PM
This spring one of my objectives was to capture displaying goldeneyes. Didn't quite get what I wanted but this one of a Common Goldeneye was a step in the right direction. Lots of head throws but they weren't too much into the kicking part of the display, at least when I was around.

50D, iso 125, 700mm (500 x1.4), f 5.6, 1/1000

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4638215230_78994498c5_o.jpg

Jackie Schuknecht
06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Good behavioural shot Declan. I love the splash and the eye. I might take a bit off the bottom and am wondering if the whites are a little warm? Hope you get some more chances.

Colin Knight
06-26-2010, 05:36 PM
The pose is awkward- I like the kick, but the head angle is hard to deal with. Some of the whites look blown (But I'm on my monitor at work, so take that with a grain of salt) It's a bit soft. 1/1000 may not have been enough to stop the rapid motion of him kicking around?

I do like the action, water drops and reflection.

TFS

Lance Peters
06-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi Declan - love the action- do agree the pose is a little awkward - kinda hard to make out whats going on at a glance.
would have bumped that ISO up to increase the SS. Focus point may not have been on the head/eye - looks like it might have been on the body.
Id crop a little from the bottom.
Keep em coming

Declan Troy
06-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks all for the insightful thoughts. Good thing y'all aren't hen goldeneyes as they seem to like the contortions. Earlier in the display cycle the head and neck is hyperextended so the posture is less cramped (some might consider this awkward as well) but I was after the splash so this awkward pose went with it. A faster SS is probably warranted.

No more chances until next spring, the drakes work is done for this year.

Alfred Forns
06-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Sort of neat behavior Would like seeing a more room !! Whites are a little over and eye does not appear sharp ... but all these guys look like that, need to work on the eye. Anything but soft light will get you in trouble here !!