PDA

View Full Version : Damaged in Dogfight

Mike Fuhr
06-26-2010, 01:08 PM
I was out looking for things to shoot the other day and came across some dflies. I took this shot and didn't realize that he was missing a significant part of his wing which didn't seem to affect his flying.:)

I like the background but the wind resulted in a bit of blur. Also like looking through his wing to see the eyes.

D300
100-300/4
300 mm
F/6.3 (-.67)
1/640
Some minor cropping and sharpening added

Julie Kenward
06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
That is a nice angle, Mike. For the blur I think a round of high pass filter sharpening might add a little more clarify.

If you want to try it: duplicate the background layer (Ctrl + J) and then choose filter/other/high pass. Set it to 3 pixels and then change the blend mode of the layer to overlay or soft light. I thought it added a little more sharpness to the eyes and abdomen.

Roman Kurywczak
06-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Hey Mike,
I like the pose, perch , and BG.....not loving the damage:(. I know it tells a story, but for me this would have been a deal breaker had I seen it in advance. Agree with Jules on the sharpness too.....so if isn't there....back to the drawing board!

Ken Childs
06-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Mike, Jules is right. This looks soft all the way 'round. Give the high pass filter a try.

It seems that dragonflies have a spare set of wings. I've seem them with 1 or 2 wings (1 from each side) completely missing and it didn't seen to affect their flying abilities.

Mike Fuhr
06-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Mike, Jules is right. This looks soft all the way 'round. Give the high pass filter a try.

It seems that dragonflies have a spare set of wings. I've seem them with 1 or 2 wings (1 from each side) completely missing and it didn't seen to affect their flying abilities.

Amazing how they can adapt, eh?

Roman, I agree on the overall softness, but kinda like the way the wing is -- it tells the story of nature's resilience. Jules, I'll see what I can do on the sharpness, although I don't have pp.:(

I have a few others that I will post tomorrow that have that sharpness...

Bob Miller
06-26-2010, 07:30 PM
HI Mike....agree with sharpness issues raised but i really like the bg