PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Reef Egret

Mark Young
06-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Taken yesterday at my local reef.
I know the bird is facing away, and that's a big minus, but I was hoping to get some thoughts about the composition. The idea behind this crop was to try and show just how close the bird was in amongst the waves.
Does it work for your or not? Would you change anything?

All C&C welcomed.

Canon 400, 300f4 + 1.4tc, ISO200, f5.6, 1/2000, Av mode, Ev metering.

Michael Hogan
06-26-2010, 03:42 AM
Mark I like it a lot. The photo is just loaded with action and elicits an amazing emotion (for me anyway). If the Heron was facing towards you it would be perfect. But I think to succeeded in what you were trying. However, (always one of these in this forum but that's what it is for) the Heron is a little bright for me. If it was toned down a little bit IMHO it would be better

TFS

Michael

Lance Peters
06-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Hi Mark - guessing the HAP may wish to interview you about this one - No free passes :)
Love the setting - Bird looks to be lacking in fine detail - and eye looks a tad bright/ Over sharpened.

Like all the splashing water - Different but quite like it.

Ricardo Rodriguez
06-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Indeed, Mark, beware of the HAP! The splash in the FG makes this image interesting for me. I would crop half of the empty space on the right.

Alfred Forns
06-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Well I think if the bird was looking at you would be more like a formal studio portrait and not a candid in the field image. The bird is engaged in a behavior and looking for something, in this instance I find the head angle perfect. Just one persons opinion.

Would move the bird right, at the time of making the image pointing the camera left some. Need to space for the bird to look into !! AF wise not sure the point grabbed the bird in the head area? For still you should be able to !! ... do make use of moving the af points in the viewfinder for positioning the bird !! Love the overall feel !!!

Dave Mills
06-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi Mark, I agree with Al regarding HA. If the bird was looking at the viewer it would show some disassociation with what was happening around it. This way the subject is viewing the activity of the waves.
Even lighting with an interesting splash in front of the bird.

Bill Dix
06-26-2010, 05:26 PM
I really like this one. I noticed the HA right away and thought it actually contributed to the feeling of the image - I'm glad I'm not alone here. Rules are made to be broken, they say. Agree the bird might be just a bit darker. Love the splash at the left, and think you achieved what you set out to do, showing the bird in the midst of the turmoil. Well done.

Mark Young
06-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it. This is my best image of this species so far, but there some things that I would improve on next time such as the IQ of the bird and my position relative to the bird.

You guys are spot on about the Heron being too bright. This should actually be a few shades darker.

@ Alfred, I only use the single center focus point. The 400D that I am using has 9 points in total, but I find the camera tends to jump focus too much if I use all of the points. The 400D only allow you to use 1 point or all of them. I'm hoping when I upgrade to the 7D in the next few months it will allow me greater versatility in this area. In this image I've put the focus point onto the body of the bird. Would going up a stop help as well to have the head more in focus if I focus on the bird?

@ Bill, I'm still learning the rules, I'm not ready yet to break them!! ;)