PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Campion and Hoverfly

Caroline Darmo
06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Nikon D200, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 +TC 1.7 @340mm. F/16, 1/100s, ISO 400. EC -0.7.

I found these little weeds while scouting for birds in an abandoned pasture. The Hoverfly was feeding on the nectar of the Campions.

sandy richards
06-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Caroline, this is really lovely. Very nice detail on the flowers and fly.
The BG is very complimentary to the nice pinks.
I think I'd like a tad more room on the top..

Julie Kenward
06-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Welcome to the Macro/Flora forum, Caroline! It always amazes me that someone can shoot an image like this outdoors at f16 and get that kind of BG. You've got really nice sharpness and the exposure looks dead on. It's bright and airy and everything in the frame tells the story so nicely. The only thing I see that I think might improve the image another tiny little bit would be to remove the OOF stamen that are peeking out of the flower on the left - but that's very minor. I also wouldn't mind a tiny bit more room in the frame but I do like it as presented. Thanks for sharing this!

Paul Lagasi
06-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Very nicely composed, sharp and colorful..Bladder Campions seem to be everywhere around here...well done

Jonathan Ashton
06-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Gorgeous super subject and detail I like the colors and the water droplet just adds that little je ne sais quoi (forty five years since I did French hope that's spelt correctly!):)

Dave Mills
06-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Caroline, this is not an easy subject to shoot but you handled it quite well. Soft lighting,muted backround with added interest including the fly. The stem presented on a slight diagonal,while muted shows an anchor point.
Agree with Jules on the oof stamen on the left but as stated is minor...good one!

Roman Kurywczak
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi Caroline,
I have studied this one for a while as I disagree with the above posters on the comp. The light is fantastic but for me the insect loses some of it's impact as do the 3 main flowers....because of 2 of the BG blooms (with the white tips). This gets just too busy in the bllom part for me.....but as you can see I am in the minority!!!....so take that into consideration!

Ken Childs
06-26-2010, 05:29 PM
You're not alone, Roman. I would prefer this without those OOF BG blooms and believe it or not, I think I'd like this better without the hoverfly. :eek:

The 3 flowers, the BG and and that drop of water look fantastic! Since these are weeds, no one should mind if you go back and do some trimming before you take another shot. :)

Dave Mills
06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi Ken, Normally I would agree about the plants busy quality.I like clean images. I was looking at this in regards to not altering the plant but having to deal with it as grown. I would also prefer the backround flowers out but felt it was well handled based on the species.

Anita Bower
07-02-2010, 05:05 AM
I'm a bit late commenting. I like this a lot! Lovely airy feel. I like everything about it. The crop is fine with me. Lovely colors and light and BG. Thanks for sharing.