PDA

View Full Version : Skipper

Paul Lagasi
06-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Because of a busy work week..didn't get out much, this image was taken on my last week...cropped and framed, applied NR to background, I left the bud in on purpose, not really sure why though...a decent crop, which accounts for noise.
These Skippers were everywhere...

D300
105 2.8 nikon macro
f11
1/200
iso-640
A.P.
handheld

Julie Kenward
06-25-2010, 09:42 PM
You left the bud in because it gives an additional sense of proportion and balance to the image, right? I thought so! ;)

Paul, I think this is one of my all-time favorites of yours - even with the orange frame I absolutely love it. The insect, flower and bud are all in very good shape and very sharp. The BG is complimentary and gives a nice sense of surroundings without being overpowering or distracting. The colors are so summery!

You've got one dark "dot" above the head of the skipper - I'd clone that out and then frame this baby. :D

Caroline Darmo
06-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Paul, nice feeding behaviour of the Skipper on a (Buttercup)? Can you get more details in the yellows of the flower, they seem a bit bright on my monitor. I like the angle on the BF and love the COMP. I ran the image through the default settings of Neat Image and think it improved the BG. Hope you don't mind, I think it's a lovely image!

Jonathan Ashton
06-26-2010, 10:04 AM
I like the image very much indeed, but I think maybe it is over saturated, the yellows and greens seem to be quite a bit OTT on my monitor:)

Dave Mills
06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi Paul, Caroline did a good job on the backround which looked like it had some noise. The skipper is very well handled along with the comp. Would also have liked to have seen a bit more detail in the flower...

Paul Lagasi
06-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the comments folks....I think maybe the reason there's not much detail in the flower is the NR I ran on it twice....:confused:

Roman Kurywczak
06-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Hey Paul,
I agree with the above comments on the flower too. When you go back....try adding blue in color balance on just the flower or even a S/H adjustment on it.....bringing down the brightness. If you tame that you will have a really nice skipper image!

Ken Childs
06-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I love the bug and the comp but agree that the greens and yellows look a bit over saturated.

Paul Lagasi
06-26-2010, 07:16 PM
I've made some changes to the image and compared them side by side..I didn't really do much, just went by your suggestions and brought out a few more details in the flower, I like the way the flower turned out but not sure about the background...

Bob Miller
06-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi Paul ...This is a lovely image and i think your repost has definetely improved it...That flower really needed to be toned down! Big Congrats!

Jonathan Ashton
06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
I've made some changes to the image and compared them side by side..I didn't really do much, just went by your suggestions and brought out a few more details in the flower, I like the way the flower turned out but not sure about the background...

I prefer your resubmission, I have made an alternative - what do you think?:)

Paul Lagasi
06-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Well done Jonathan, thanks for showing..