PDA

View Full Version : Snail Kite

Phil Ertel
06-25-2010, 03:45 PM
This image was captured on June 4th from Jim Neiger's boat on Lake Tohopekaliga in Florida. The sky was mostly overcast thus the white sky. I cropped from a horizontal to vertical, removed a couple of out of focus branches in the background. I left the one branch that projects into the background as I thought it helped balance the image. I decided to leave the band on (obviously:)).

I like the color the vegetation brings to the image and the splash of yellow from the flower.

Curves, levels, and a slight saturation/ hue adjustment to tone down the reds a bit were my other processing. I did run some noise reduction in the darker areas.

Thanks for viewing!

Camera: Canon 50D
Lens: EFS500mm f/4L IS USM
f-stop: 4
Shutter speed: 1/640
ISO: 1000 (I was trying to keep as much shutter speed as possible for flight opportunities)
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Evaluative
Hand Held

Tony Whitehead
06-25-2010, 04:18 PM
I like the high key and intense raptor stare. My first thought was to eliminate the OOF branch heading away but you've obviously tried this and prefer this version. Cleaning the white specks on top of the head may be an option.

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I too love the high key Phil and the intense stare. Excellent color and detail and I very much like the composition. the yellow adds such a lovely touch !!! Well done !

Axel Hildebrandt
06-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't mind the gray BG in this one at all. Setting and sharpness look good, too. Details look good, considering the high ISO.

Phil Ertel
06-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Tony and Judy for your comments!

Tony, I appreciate your input on the out of focus branch projecting into the background. I still not completely sold on keeping. I will have to go back and give the composition without it some additional thought.

Thanks again!

Keith Carver
06-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Lovely portrait, Phil, very sharp considering hand-held and 1/640 sec. I like the branches and think the OOF branch lends depth to the composition. Do you know what the white specks on the forehead were? Depending, you might consider removal. This kite has attitude!

Phil Ertel
06-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi Keith, Thanks for you comments. I believe the white bits on the top of the head are feathers. I examined several images at large magnification and that is what they appear to be. The bird's forehead seems to be roughed up a little. On some other views it appears that you can see down to the skin. Since it seemed natural I left this alone. Based on your and Tony's comments, I will give this another look. Thanks again.

Stu Bowie
06-26-2010, 01:41 AM
I like the angle of pose Phil, and you have exceptionally considering the conditions. I like the detail, and the green foliage really adds to the image.

Arthur Morris
07-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Well done but for the white fluff on the head. I love the perch and the little flower and the high key look and the pose.