PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Picture Plant

JB Ellis
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
What do you think of this flash treatment. The image was shot mid-day. I blocked the direct sun with my body and set the camera manually to -3 EVA, then held the flash under the plant and moved it around until I got the effect I wanted. Camera at 70mm and 1 foot from plant. flash at about 1.5 feet away. ISO 100, f32, 1/250 sec.

Valerio Tarone
06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
wonderfull effect. Like very much the image. I don't knowwhat focal you used. a relatively dark Bg works well here

Bob Miller
06-25-2010, 02:05 PM
HI Jb...I am afraid this picture doesn't quite work for me....close..... but I would like to see more detail in the shadows

Paul Lagasi
06-25-2010, 02:38 PM
JB..I like this image as presented, only thing I might do is clone out or darken the left hand pitcher plant but thats just me..

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Hey JB,
Very cool approach and this has some great stuff going for it......the mood is super as these are very difficult subjects.....so your lighting did fantastic stuff to this. I do think you have a few options at the bases....where the flash starts to fall off....on the right and center plants....bring up the shadow base area sligtly with a levels layer (or a few) to closer match the fall off on the LH one. My guess is that you got a shadow on the R 2 plants.......so just be aware of that. These are quite difficult to photograph because of location and shape of plant......I think a few tweaks will bring this up to even greater heights!

Mike Moats
06-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey JB, very nice comp, and great lighting. Good details.

Julie Kenward
06-25-2010, 09:14 PM
What a great mood this one has! I agree with Roman's ideas of how to tweak this but I love it as is as well. The fact that you can barely see the BG - really nicely placed and executed lighting - just one thing...

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) these are Pitcher Plants and not Picture Plants. ;)

Caroline Darmo
06-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Hi JB, the lighting is quite dramatic, I really like the COMP and think Roman covered the essentials.Very nice image.

Jonathan Ashton
06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Love it - what a great idea - must try something similar.

JB Ellis
06-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions. Yes Jules, that's not the first time I spelled Pitcher Plant wrong. Rely to much on spell check.:)