PDA

View Full Version : If you "Willet", there is a way...

Ken Lassman
06-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Challenging shooting against the water in the changing Florida sunlight

Nikon D300
Nikon 300/2.8
ISO 640
f/10 @ 1/1250
Manual, Hand held

Alfred Forns
06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
One of the more difficult to get but those are great birds in the air !!

Like the landing pose, sharp and well expose. Don't think you could have given more, look at the little white by the tail !! Could try shadow/highlight in CS5 seems to work differently form other PS version and more effective .. very little if any halos not sure why!! Might have a little more room at right and less at bottom but is just personal taste !!

Just did the S/H which didn't do much, lighten some areas with a brush, cropped a little from bottom/top added canvas to rear then just a little contrast adjustment. Nothing mayor form the original but thing the subtle changes help? Like it a lot !!

Ken Lassman
06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for taking the time to tweak this image Al. After your suggestion on my Osprey image I have been experimenting with the burn and brush tools...starting off at lower percentages to either darken or lighten areas....didn't do anything with this one. I thought the Stilts were fast...these guys appear faster... probably because they do short flight bursts over the water...I am working on a couple of images a few frames before and after this one

Bob Miller
06-25-2010, 03:02 PM
HI ken. I like your image alot...the bg is nice and you caught a good flight pose. I do prefer the higher contrast in Al's repost as well as his crop! TFS

Mark Young
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Very nice image. It's always hard to photograph Shorebirds when they are in flight like this. The water colour and the Willet look much nicer in Alfred's repost.

Dave Mills
06-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi Ken, Al's repost gave the bird a helpful boost. Nice lighting and good angle.

Colin Knight
06-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I love the pose here. Al did well with the repost. BPN sure is a great place to learn!