PDA

View Full Version : Siver Studded Blue

Jonathan Ashton
06-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO 400 -0.33EV 1/60 sec f8 Fill in flash -1.66

All comments welcome

Allen Sparks
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Really nice image. Nice sharpness across both butterflies especially at f8. You did exceptionally well in getting in an even focal plane with both these subjects...I have found that hard to do with shots like this. Was this hand held or tripod? I'm guessing tripod since it is sharp at 1/60s. I like the BG but others may find the streakiness a little distracting. Nice diagonal perch too. A terrific shot in my opinion.

Jonathan Ashton
06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Allen, thanks for the comments, backgrounds tend to be viewed slightly differently in Europe; whilst a smooth unobtrusive background is usually welcomed there tends to be more tolerance and not a constant drive to produce the silky smooth image that seems to be much desired in America. I did consider removing some of the stripes but I wanted to reflect the natural scene as much as I could. The image was taken using a tripod, (I always use one unless there is a good reason not to).:)

Julie Kenward
06-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Jonathon, I like the "streaky" BG but I am finding the OOF pink flower to be a little distracting. I'd probably clone over it if this were mine. You did an exceptional job on those two butterflies! Great detail and nice diagonal lines. I like this very much!

Dave Mills
06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Hi Jonathon, A well handled image! Even lighting,diagonal stalk, sharp subjects that tell a story. F8 seemed to work just right enabling you to mute the backround. If the backround is far away it's easy to mute but if its closer than it's alot trickier.
I have no problem with the backround texture but agree the pink, though not a major issue, feels a bit out of place based on the whole.

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey Jonathan,
Nice job with the FF too! VG job controlling your angle....made this sharp everywhere it needs to be. I think you could go in mnay directions with the BG if you choose....from blurring to darkening slightly or a combo of both. In any case ....because of the BG, you now only have a great image......cleaner/softer BG.....it would be outstanding (that is slighly better than great?:confused:). Very nicely done all around!

Jonathan Ashton
06-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your feedback, I really do appreciate your comments and I can understand your reservations over the background. One thing I had to bear in mind was the natural environment in which these butterflies live, it is coarse grass and heather. The pale pink area is heather and I think it helps place the species. I will be posting another shot on heather as opposed to grass and this one will have a cleaner background - because the heather was taller than the grass.:)